Police Beat

Mother drives son to steal bike tires

A minor was cited and released to his mother for two counts of theft Jan. 11 at 9 p.m.

Police responded to a call at the Arizona Sonora Hall for a suspicious boy who was possibly stealing bikes. When they arrived, they made contact with a boy who matched the description they were given. The boy said the bike that he was near was locked and belonged to his friend but he did not have the key. He also told officers he was not a student at the university. Police noticed that the bike had a UA Parking and Transportation sticker on it.

They began to question the boy who told the officers he was in the UA library around 6 p.m. when he found a green bike locked to a rack. He said he thought the bike looked “”like no one wanted it.”” He then took the front tire off the bike and rode home on his own bicycle. Later that night the boy asked his mother if she would drive him back to the UA to get the rest of the bicycle parts. She drove him to campus.

The boy brought a backpack full of tools with him and removed the back tire and the brake pads before police arrived. He admitted that the front tire was at his house. He escorted police to his house and gave them the other part of the bicycle.

He was arrested and released to his mother who was on scene.

Man exposes penis, hides face

A woman called police after a man exposed himself to her Jan. 12 at 10:17 p.m.

Police responded to the area of East First Street and North Highland Avenue after a woman said a man had exposed his penis to her.

The woman told officers that she had been standing near the south side of the intersection when a man wearing dark-colored sweat pants and a dark hoodie approached her walking eastbound. As he approached her, he briefly pulled down the front of his sweatpants, exposing his penis. The man did not say anything to the woman and continued walking east bound.

The woman said she did not get a good look at the man’s face because it was dark and he was wearing a hood over his head. She did not believe she would be able to positively identify him.

No charges were filed.

Man in library booked on multiple warrants

A man was arrested for three warrants Jan. 12 at 7:46 p.m.

Police responded to the Arizona Health Science Center Library on North Warren in reference to a suspicious man. The man had allegedly been at the library the previous evening smoking marijuana, but he could not be located.

When police arrived they made contact with a man who matched the description they were given. He told officers that he was in the library the previous evening, but he did not smoke any marijuana. He voluntarily emptied his pockets and allowed police to search him. No marijuana was found.

Police ran the man’s name and found that he had three warrants through the Tucson Police Department for failure to appear on various liquor and drug charges.

The man was placed under arrest and taken to the Pima County Jail where he was booked for his warrants.

TV station directors receive threatening emails

Police were dispatched to the KUAT office Jan. 12 at 11:10 a.m. in reference to harassing emails and voicemails.

When they arrived, they made contact with two directors who told them that a former employee had been sending them “”foul language”” emails and voicemails. They said that the man was a part-time employee. He believed he would be made a full-time employee, but when he found out he was not going to, he voluntarily resigned in August 2008.

The man began sending emails and phone calls to the two men. According to police he told one that he was a “”fat moron”” and to “”fuck off.””

The two men were told to forward any future correspondents to the police so a cease and desist request would be sent to the man. Copies of the emails were taken into custody.