Arizona soccer travels to Oregon in final five-game stretch of season

Robert Alcaraz / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Arizona women’s soccer team will travel to Oregon this weekend to take on Oregon (6-7-2) in Eugene, Ore., on Friday and Oregon State (10-4-1) in Corvallis, Ore., on Sunday.

The Wildcats have not won a game since Sept. 21, coming off back-to-back losses against Washington State 3-0 and a 1-4 loss to No. 2 Stanford.

In its last six games Arizona has lost four times, including one shutout and two ties. In those six games, Arizona scored only 5 goals, which is half of what the team scored in the first six games of the season.

“We need to come off with more of a bite in the second half because against Stanford they scored quick goals on us and that put us on our heels,” senior defender Alex Smith said. “Most importantly, we have to remain confident that we can get the ball on the attack.”

Arizona has a losing record to both teams, with 4-9-2 to Oregon and 7-9-1 to Oregon State. 50 percent of the Wildcats’ losses to both schools have been shutouts.

In their last meeting with the Ducks, on Oct. 7, 2011, the Wildcats beat Oregon 1-0 at home for their only victory of the season.

Just two days later, on Oct. 9, 2011, the Wildcats ended up on the other side of the shutout against Oregon State, losing 0-1.

After a scoreless first half, the Beavers outshot the Wildcats 6-5 and ultimately out-shot Arizona for the match 13-8.

Arizona knows exactly what to expect from the Ducks and Beavers going into this weekend’s matches.

“Both schools have a lot of speed in the back, so we have to play quick combination plays to try and get around them instead of trying to get into a footrace with them because that is just unrealistic,” Smith said. “The key for us is to keep the ball on the floor and be really patient when executing the combination plays.”

– Iman Hamdan can be reached via Twitter @imanhamdanDW