Woman, bike collide

%09Amer+Taleb+%2F+Daily+Wildcat+
Amer Taleb

Amer Taleb / Daily Wildcat

A pedestrian was taken to the hospital after being hit by a cyclist in front of the Nugent building at approximately 4:20 p.m. Monday.

According to witnesses, a biker turned left onto the path between the UA Mall and the Nugent building and crashed into a young woman crossing the path. Witnesses said that although the cyclist tried, he was unable to avoid colliding with the pedestrian.

“He was already trying to maneuver around her but then she stopped,” said Carrie Wright, a UA mathematics professor.

Witnesses said that anywhere from five to 10 bystanders gathered around the fallen pedestrian, and many people took out their cellphones to call 911.

“The bike hit her, she fell, and we think she hit her head,” said Kerry Wade, an anthropology freshman. “The trauma caused her to start seizing and that’s when we called 911.”

Someone who claimed to be a professional lifeguard emerged from the crowd and began instructing others on how to respond to the woman’s injuries, witnesses said. Then a man who said he was a trauma nurse stepped forward and cradled the woman’s head to prevent her from hitting it again in the middle of the seizures. The paramedics responded 10 to 15 minutes after the crash, according to Wade.

Both Wade and Wright said they were shocked by the incident and concerned about the woman’s condition.

The cyclist did not wish to comment immediately after the incident.

The name of the pedestrian has not been released and the University Medical Center-University Campus could not comment on her condition.