Coronado opens to residents after year-long renovations

Noelle Haro-Gomez The Coronado residence hall was recently remodeled over the summer.

Coronado Residence Hall opened to students this fall after being closed for renovations during the 2011-2012 school year. The project, which cost about $23 million, was the last of eight residence halls that were renovated in the past seven years as part of a building renewal project.

Some of these eight residence halls only got mechanical or plumbing upgrades in restrooms and community lounges based on the interior design of each hall. In Coronado, every room is a suite with its own bathroom. Because of this, each room and study lounge had to be renovated individually in order to upgrade the infrastructure of the building, including plumbing, heat and air conditioning.

Built in 1966, Coronado now has new desks, carpet, mattresses, closets and bathrooms in each dorm room, while study rooms have been outfitted with new furniture.

Prior to renovations, study rooms in Coronado had individual study cubicles, said Alex Blandeburgo, associate director of residence life and director of facilities.

“A lot of students like to study in a much more open atmosphere,” Blandeburgo said. “And now we have open tables and chairs so that, you know, studying can be more collaborative.”

The hall’s renovation also saw the installation of several energy-saving features, Blandeburgo added. All the lights in the building are fluorescent, and run on timed motion sensors. After 15 minutes, the lights will turn off if there is no movement in the area.

Tiana Liss, a molecular and cellular biology freshman, said the more spacious study lounges are good for group studying but not for individual studying.

“If I wanted my own personal study space I probably wouldn’t want to be at a study table with a bunch of other people studying random, different things,” Liss said.

Blandeburgo said Coronado was closed at a good time, just before Likins and Arbol de la Vida Residence Halls opened Fall 2011, providing about 1,100 new beds for students and creating a net gain of 300 beds.

With Coronado’s re-opening, Residence Life was able to take more applications this year, and all residence halls have been filled this semester.

Peter Reynolds, a sophomore studying management and information systems and business, said he’s excited to be living in Coronado, and likes how it looks after the renovation.

Nikki Woods, a pre-pharmacy freshman, also said she likes the new look of the residence hall. Though it’s a big change from home, she said it’s something she’ll get used to.

And while her dorm is much smaller than her room at home, Liss said that from what she’s heard, it’s a lot better than some of the other residence halls on campus.

“All my friends come over and they’re like ‘I honestly can’t believe that I’m in this dorm and you get to be in this dorm,’” she said.