Grad School Day will be informative

IF YOU GO

What: Career Services’ Graduate School Day

Who: Representatives from graduate departments at UA and other institutions

Where: Student Union Memorial Center Grand Ballroom

When: 1-4 p.m.

Undergraduate students interested in continuing their education will have an opportunity to explore their options today at Career Service’s Graduate School Day. About 80 different institutions will have representatives at the fair, from Pepperdine University to Columbia University, said Susan Miller, marketing and special events coordinator for Career Services. Some of the schools will have representatives from specific programs, while others will provide general information about graduate studies.

“”The purpose is to give UA students an opportunity to evaluate … higher education across the country,”” Miller said.

Students will be able to speak directly with representatives from schools they are interested in.

“”It’s helpful to see what the representatives have to say to solidify what your plans are,”” Miller said.

Students should know what they are looking for and do some research about the programs before attending the event, Miller said. In addition to asking questions, students should explain what they have to offer to programs.

“”It works both ways,”” Miller said. “”You have to see if there is a good fit between the institution and the individual.””

She recommended that students who have more time to spend at the fair should start with schools they are less serious about so they can practice interacting with the representatives. If the student has less time, Miller said they should start with the school they are most interested in.

“”It’s the next best thing to visiting these institutions,”” she said.

Today’s fair will mark the fourth time Career Services has held this event. This year, Miller said, more medical and health related institutions will be in attendance. However, representatives from other areas, such as business and art and design will also be present.

In addition to institutions across the country, as well as a few international institutions representing their programs at the fair, UA will also be representing some of its graduate programs.

Anne Cione, senior program coordinator for the UA Cancer Biology Graduate Interdisciplinary Program, will represent her program at the fair.

Cione said many students ask about what is required for acceptance into the program.

“”We’ll try to answer any question they have,”” she said.

Cione said some of the programs will be bringing graduate students as well.

“”For the students, they can ask, ‘What is graduate school really like?'”” she said.

With the state of the economy, Cione said she expects more people to apply for graduate school.

“”I think it’s important that we are out there trying to attract top-notch students from UA,”” she said.

Andrew Huerta, coordinator for the McNair Achievement Program, will be representing the UA Graduate College at the fair.

Huerta said the UA Graduate College will have about six representatives at the fair, in addition to representatives from some individual departments.

“”I think it’s important for students to realize the value of graduate education and the programs here at UA,”” he said.

The UA Graduate College will provide information about the application process, the programs and funding.

“”We want students to realize they can stay here at the university,”” Huerta said. “”We want them to realize the strengths of our programs here at UA.””