Triple Double soothes the soul

Local Tucson band Triple Double gets set to release their third full-length album this Friday at Plush at 9 p.m. However, before their release the Daily Wildcat sat down with the band to find out a little more about them.

Jimi Cracovaner, guitarist/vocals, said the band started with just him and his brother, Tom Cracovaner, drums/vocals.

“”We have been playing since we were 10 and 12 years old,”” said Jimi.

They added bassist Preston Wilson five years ago, and the group met keyboards/vocalist Alex Sandweiss on a youth trip to Israel. The Cracovaners both grew up here in Tucson and attended the UA. Alex is a UA sophomore.

According to Tom, the group was driving up to Phoenix to catch a Suns game and they noticed the double white lines on the road. So they began tossing out ideas such as Double Line and Double and then, before long, they came up with Triple Double. The band chose to go with the name because it signifies versatility, like in basketball when we hear of players having a triple-double game. “”We play everything,”” said Tom, who also went on to add, “”We are the soul-soothing funky reggae blues party.””

“”I have always loved playing music and to create something live and to share it with others is great,”” added Jimi.

Jimi is not only the guitarist/vocalist for the band, he is also the producer along with his brother, Tom. When asked about producing, Jimi replied, “”It is definitely a learning process, but I have learned a lot more about the music and what sounds better.””

He also added that one of the benefits of being their own producers is more flexibility, more freedom and having their own studio. One thing that Tom pointed out about the music industry is, “”It’s who you know and the breaks you catch.”” Jimi also said that he is still learning about the marketing aspect of being a producer and “”finding new ways to promote their music.””

Dot My Eighths is Triple Double’s third album and it sounds great. The opening song, “”Whatcha Do,”” already has a reggae feel to it and it soothes one’s soul much like Bob Marley’s music did. Vocally and musically, Triple Double reminded me of Sublime. They kind of slow it down on the song “”Journey to the Dust,”” but not so much that it is a drastic change from their entire album. It’s slow, but it isn’t a sad kind of slow. Instead, it is more relaxing. On the following song, “”Through Our Name,”” we hear Triple Double rap. While it does seem a little out of place on an album that seems to be purely reggae-based, remember that they are called Triple Double because they are versatile in their musical styles and this song proves it. Overall, this is a great album for anyone who likes good, relaxing music. So remember, this Friday, May 1, is Triple Double’s release party at Plush at 9 p.m. Admission is $5 and that also gets you a free copy of their newest and greatest album, Dot My Eighths.