Wildcat recap

Ryane Murray
UFO leader talks to the club members this Friday, Jan. 26, 2018.

The month of January was a busy one. The new year and the beginning of the semester brought an influx of news and events both local and worldwide. Here are some of our favorites: 

Oprah Winfrey backstage at the 75th Annual Golden Globes at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Sunday, Jan. 7, 2018.

Oprah empowers women at the Golden Globes, Jan. 7

At the Golden Globes, Oprah Winfrey accepted the Cecil B. DeMille Award for outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment, according to the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. Winfrey’s speech focused on the celebration of diversity and the empowerment of women, particularly in wake of the Me Too movement that rose to mainstream attention late last year. Winfrey’s powerful speech also sparked #Oprah2020 as a trending hashtag on Twitter. Winfrey has since shut down rumors of her presidential run.

People enjoy the Tucson Jazz Festival on Thursday Jan. 11, 2018.

All that jazz, Jan. 11

From Jan. 11–21, the HSL Properties Tucson Jazz Festival, an annual festival that celebrates jazz, art and culture, attracted hundreds of tourists to the Tucson area. The lineup included well-known jazz artists like Arturo Sandoval, Spyro Gyra, Sheila E. and more. If you missed it this year, look out for the festival next winter. 

Judith Chafee (1989)
Judith Chafee (1989)

Tucson Artist honored with UA Library exhibit, Jan. 22

The UA Library debuted an exhibit from local artist Judith Chafee. Chafee was born and raised in Tucson, and after studying at Yale University, returned to the desert to design homes. She was known for her environmentally conscious work and spunky personality. Associate librarian Bob Diaz is responsible for the exhibit being put together. “She didn’t get the kind of recognition she deserved,” he said. Chafee’s work in architecture and other art forms will be on display until July.

People enjoy the view at the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum on Jan. 28, 2018.

UA Poetry Center highlights importance of tackling environmental issues 

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum collaborated with the University of Arizona Poetry Center to host the Woven Words poetry project on Jan. 28. The project featured over 30 different poetry installations, most of which focused on environmental issues specific to the desert landscape and ecosystem. 

Follow Breagh Watson on Twitter