ASU downs Wildcats 87-80

Gordon Bates

TEMPE, Ariz. — The Arizona Wildcats men’s basketball team lost to the Arizona State Sun Devils 87-80 in Wells Fargo Arena on Sunday.

The loss put the Wildcats NCAA tournament chances in serious jeopardy, as they will now most likely need to win the Pac-12 Tournament Championship in Los Angeles to receive a bid to the big dance.

The Wildcats had 14 turnovers, including nine in the second half and were unable to put together a run to work down the Sun Devils lead.

Arizona had the ASU lead down to just one point at the 1:40 mark, but a huge 3-pointer by ASU freshman Jonathan Gilling gave the Sun Devils a four-point lead. Arizona senior Kyle Fogg answered with a three-point play after hitting the free throw shot, but it would not it would be the last points of the game for the Wildcats.

Freshman Josiah Turner missed a point-blank layup that would have cut the lead down to one point again.

The Wildcats had a 44-38 lead at halftime, but the Sun Devils quickly erased that lead by starting the second half on a 7-0 run. Fogg cut the run with a 3-pointer to get the lead back for the Wildcats.

ASU’s Gilling lead all scorers with 13 points at the half and had 21 points in the game for ASU. Hill had 12 for Arizona, along with nine points each from Perry, Fogg and Lavender. Fogg finished as the Wildcat’s leading scorer with 23.

The game started as a back and forth affair, with 13 lead changes and six ties in the first half alone.

Senior Brendon Lavender matched his career high, scoring 18 points for Arizona.