Community Chatter on SB 1070

Arizona Daily Wildcat File Photo
Arizona Daily Wildcat File Photo

“I’m not sure how much it’ll affect students I guess because if you’re going through like a college or a school you can get a student visa and so technically you would have papers to show them. I think just like the law in general is an invasion of privacy because they don’t have the right to think that someone is an illegal immigrant and then tell them to show them their papers. That’s just morally wrong.”

— Jeffrey Bragg, engineering freshman

“I’m not exactly sure if it will affect students entirely because they need to specifically state if they’re a resident of the country. So all in all I really don’t think that it’s going to affect them too much. Probably in the effect that their family might be sent home but the student being sent back, I don’t think so. I’m not a supporter and I’m not an opposer of it. It opens jobs for the agricultural world. Jobs that Americans need.”

— Carly Ehrler, animal science senior

“I don’t think it will affect any student on campus because since it’s a public university we already need to show our birth certificate.”

— Stephen D’Addio, music senior

“It’s going to cause a lot of bitterness … I just feel like a lot of people are going to be judgmental of other people and feel like their privacy is invaded because of who they are.”

— Sarah James, freshman studying French

“I don’t want to say that students will be racially profiled, I mean that’s always a possibility… Someone might be inconvenienced if they get stopped by the police and asked for their citizenship status.”

— Jacob Eubanks, public management and policy junior

“I think it’ll affect more like the students’ families not the students themselves.”

— Nohe Garcia, engineering freshman