Police Beat: April 12

I am the passenger, and I ride and I ride (drunk)

A male UA student in the passenger seat of a car was charged with minor in possession on Sunday.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was on patrol, in the area of Sixth Street and Campbell Avenue at 2:20 a.m., when he observed a car take a wide left turn and stopped the vehicle for a traffic violation.

Upon approaching the driver’s side window of the car, the officer could immediately detect a smell of alcohol coming from the vehicle.

He determined that both the female driver and male passenger were under 21 years of age.

After testing the driver, he determined that she was not intoxicated.

When the officer began interviewing the passenger, he admitted to drinking alcohol.

He submitted to a portable breathalyzer test, which confirmed the presence of alcohol.

The passenger admitted to drinking beer at Campus Crossings apartments. He said that his 21-year-old friend provided the alcohol, but refused to identify this friend.

The officer arrested the student for minor in possession and released him to the care of his sober driver.

Man driving erratically gets DUI

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested for driving under the influence on Sunday.

A UAPD officer spotted him driving erratically on Speedway Boulevard near Campbell Avenue at 2:32 a.m.

He was driving his vehicle into the median lane with his blinker on, failed to turn at the intersection and proceeded down Speedway Boulevard.

He then drifted into the center lane and back into the median lane near Cherry Avenue.

The officer turned on his emergency lights and siren to pull the car over.

At Mountain Avenue, the car turned left toward the UA campus but did not stop.

As the car turned left, the officer turned on his lights and sirens again. The driver finally yielded about five feet from First Street.

The officer asked for the driver’s license, registration and insurance but the driver only provided his license.

On second request, the driver provided a traffic citation and an application form for Citibank.

The officer asked a third time and was finally given the driver’s registration, but the driver said that he had misplaced his insurance card.

The passenger in the vehicle opened his door, said that he wasn’t feeling well and began to vomit.

Both the driver and passenger admitted to drinking that night.

The officer conducted several DUI tests and determined that the driver was impaired.

He placed the man under arrest and transported him to UAPD headquarters.

He was cited for DUI and for unsafe lane changes, and was released to a taxi company after completing his paperwork.

Drunken student disappears from courtyard and reappears in dorm bathroom

A resident assistant reported a student vomiting in the courtyard of Graham-Greenlee Residence Hall to UAPD on Saturday.

An officer arrived and spoke with the RA, who said that the male had just left the area heading north on foot, at 3:15 a.m.

The RA did not know who the student was, but said that he may be a resident of Greenlee Residence Hall.

She also said that he was stumbling as he walked but didn’t seem like he needed medical attention.

The officer checked the surrounding area and the UA Mall and could not find the individual.

Twenty minutes later, the RA called and said that the student was now vomiting in the lobby bathroom of the residence hall.

By the time the officer arrived on scene, Tucson Fire Department had also been dispatched.

The officer attempted to open the bathroom door, but it was locked.

He called out to the student and said that he needed to to make sure that he was OK.

“”I’m fine and I’m using the toilet,”” the student said.

At the time, the officer thought that the student was adequately communicating and did not appear to need medical attention.

The student’s shoes and wallet were near the door to the bathroom. The officer was able to then determine that he was under 21 years old his drivers license.

When TFD arrived, the student left the bathroom to speak with them.

He couldn’t say how much he drank or where he had been that night. TFD determined that he did not need to go to the hospital, but would need someone to watch him for the night.

The officer cited the student for minor in possession and released him into the charge of his roommate.

A code of conduct referral was forwarded to the Dean of Students Office.