FINAL:Arizona takes 70-64 thriller over UCLA to advance to Pac-12 Tournament Championship

Tyler Baker

Arizona guard T.J. McConnell roars in victory after Arizona’s tense 70-64 win against UCLA in the semifinals of the Pac-12 Tournament in the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nev., on Friday.

LAS VEGAS — Arizona men’s basketball punched its ticket to the Pac-12 Tournament championship with a 70-64 comeback win over UCLA.

The top seeded Wildcats (30-3) beat the fourth seeded Bruins (20-13) on Friday night in the semifinals. The championship game is at 8 p.m. MST on ESPN on Saturday.

After trailing by as much as seven, Arizona retook the lead on a 15-0 run when they held the Bruins scoreless for about 5:20. UCLA fought back to get within two points with 20 seconds left but Arizona point guard T.J. McConnell hit a couple free throws to pretty much ice it.

UA forward Brandon Ashley scored a career-high 24 points and had seven rebounds. Point guard T.J. McConnell got a double-double with 10 points, 11 assists, six rebounds and three steals, but committed five turnovers.

UA shot 40 percent from the field, 33 percent from three and 70 percent from the free throw line. UCLA shot 43 percent, 40 percent from beyond the arc and 82 percent from the charity stripe.

Arizona forward Stanley Johnson scored 15 points and grabbed nine rebounds.

UCLA guard Norman Powell scored 21 points to lead the Bruins.

Game notes

-UCLA beat Arizona in the Pac-12 Tournament the last two seasons

-Six total players had three or more fouls, three had four or more and two fouled out

-There were four ties and six lead changes

-The Bruins had 32 points in the paint, while the Wildcats had 20

Check in with us later today for a full recap and analysis column from Arizona’s win.