ASUA leaders to be sworn in at inauguration ceremony

Carl Miller
Tyler Baker / Arizona Daily Wildcat 2013-2014 ASUA Elections

UA community members will welcome the newly elected ASUA officials at their inauguration ceremony today in front of the Old Main fountain.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona president, executive vice president, administrative vice president and senate for the 2013-2014 school year will be sworn into office at noon in front of family, friends and administrators. Current ASUA President Katy Murray will introduce incoming president Morgan Abraham. Abraham served as a senator for the 2012-2013 school year.

“I’m kind of sad. I had to clean out my desk yesterday,” Abraham said. “I’m going to miss arguing and bickering with all of my other senators. It was one of the better experiences of my life.”

Danielle Novelly will be inaugurated as executive vice president and Amanda Lester will be inaugurated as administrative vice president.

Ten senators will be inaugurated to serve a one-year term. Each senator is elected to represent the more than 32,000 undergraduate students at the UA. Each member will work throughout the year to complete the issues they campaigned on.

Elena Gold, a freshman studying politics, philosophy, economics and law, will be inaugurated into the senate today. She said she hopes to improve the campus and the students’ overall experience.

“I’m so excited about [being inaugurated],” Gold said. “I have a lot of new ideas and a really strong work ethic, and I want to execute all of my platforms to the best of my ability. I hope that I can better the student experience. I’m passionate about making the UA the best it can be and bringing that to the students.”

ASUA offers UA students the opportunity to make decisions that affect the student body, work on campus projects and gain experiences in leadership, teamwork and more.

Taylor Ashton, a political science sophomore and this year’s new presidential chief of staff, said he hopes the new senate keeps the students in mind when making decisions.

“Individually, they all have really good ideas,” Ashton said. “I hope they do everything with the students’ opinions in the forefront and how it will benefit the students as a whole. We are representing all the students at the UA, and it should have their opinion.”

Bryan Namba, a political science sophomore, said joining the senate provided him with unique opportunities to interact with university staff members, and he hopes the new members of ASUA will continue to build connections with staff.

“I’m honestly excited for the new class of senators,” Namba said. “Every year you want people who fill your shoes to do better than you. My class did a great job this year, and I hope the next class does even better.”

If You Go:
A reception will follow the inauguration in the ASUA office in the Student Union Memorial Center.