Arizona MBB moves to 6-0 after 45 point victory over Sacramento State

Nathanial Stenchever

Justian Kier, a guard on the Arizona men’s basketball team, celebrates after a teammate hits a three-point shot on Saturday, Nov. 27, in Mckale Center. The Wildcats went on to win the game 105-60.

The Arizona men’s basketball defeated the Sacramento State Hornets with a score of 105-60 in their first matchup ever. 

With this win, Arizona went 6-0. 

Arizona started strong, taking a 10-points-lead after only five minutes and closing the halftime up 25 on 47-22. 

Sacramento, now 3-3, had big troubles in containing Arizona’s pace and physicality. Coach Tommy Lloyd experimented again with a full-court press that is bearing good results thus far.

Arizona turned the ball over 13 times in the game and collected an impressive 48 rebounds, almost doubling Sacramento’s 25. Arizona shot 54 percent from the field (38/70) with a majestic 53 percent (9/17) from the 3-point-line and 77% from free throws (20/26).

Azuolas Tubelis lead Arizona with 22 points and six rebounds followed by Christian Koloko with 20 and seven rebounds. Bennedict Mathurin was limited to six points and seven rebounds. Bryce Fowler, Sacramento’s star, scored 10 points.

“We have to try to move the ball and isolate guys every game, Put stress on the defense constantly,” coach Lloyd said. “Kerr got us going up and down. I’ve really noticed his leadership. He’s stepping up, really growing. Now we are gonna prepare the PAC-12 exactly how we prepared last games. 

“We like our chemistry, playing with each other. We don’t mind giving up a good shot to take a great one,” Pelle Larsson said.

Next up: Arizona will face Washington Huskies in McKale on Thursday before going on the road to play Oregon State on Sunday. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter