GUEST LETTER: The 2022-23 ASUA president welcomes new University of Arizona students

Patrick Robles was voted to serve as the 2022-23 president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona. ASUA is the UA’s student government.

¡Bienvenidos Wildcats!

My name is Patrick Robles, and I am your undergraduate student body president. Welcome to our university. After a couple years of the pandemic that put our lives to a halt — [though] we’re not totally out of the pandemic yet — your student government is going to work hard to bring about some of the most fun and impactful experiences you all deserve.

As I was writing this, I was reflecting back to when I was in your shoes just a few years ago. I was incredibly nervous walking on campus for the first time as a Wildcat. I’m a first-gen college student from the south side of Tucson who attended local public schools, so the weight on my shoulders was heavy. I’m sure it’s the same for you. We all want to succeed, we all want to make our families proud and we all hope to find that dream job after walking out of here. Though the path to get there is not easy, I want you to know that you are not alone in your college education journey. Here are a few tips in finding community and resources on campus.

Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself

When you walk inside that large classroom for the first time or sit at that four-seated table, introduce yourself to the person to the left of you and the person to the right of you. You’ll become friends or at least acquaintances. I guarantee that they will come in clutch when you need help on that assignment at 10 o’clock at night or even if you’re trying to check out the campus or town, A friend by your side never hurts. 

Visit your ASUA office

Your student government offices are open for everyone. The Associated Students of the University of Arizona is what we’re called. If you have a question, comment or concern, come talk to your student leaders or find out was resources are available to you. If you’re interested in getting involved in a club or student government efforts, we’re always looking for students to bring on the team. Even if you’re looking for a space to do homework or chill out from the heat, come on by! We’re located on the third floor of the Student Union Memorial Center. 

Visit a cultural or resource center 

The UA is home to the following centers: African American Student Affairs, Guerrero Student Center, Asian Pacific American Student Affairs, Disability Resource Center, Immigrant Student Resource Center, LGBTQ+ Affairs, Native American Student Affairs, Women and Gender Resource Center and more. These centers serve as a focal point for many marginalized communities on campus, especially if you are searching for a safe space with activities or resources for the community you may identify with.

Fun on the mall

Your Wildcat Events Board actively works to bring some of the best experiences for you from concerts and jumping castles to food, and look out for free fun activities in the UA Mall area. Also, keep an eye out because we’re bringing back Spring Fling, one of the biggest student-run carnivals in the country. There’s nothing else like it!

Join ZonaZoo

We’ve got the best student section in the country! Join some of the loudest, most spirited Wildcats in cheering on our teams from basketball to softball! Visit zonazoo.squarespace.com to purchase your pass, today!

Join a club, do an internship

As powerful as a college degree may be, if you want to make yourself stand out, you need to build your resume. Go for those internships and join a club. ASUA will be hosting a massive club fair at the beginning of the fall semester and spring semester. Take advantage of it. Handshake is a job search platform that can help you find job opportunities on campus or in your field of interest. Make an account. Put yourself out there. Getting involved will pay off. 

Go to office hours

If there is one thing I wish I did more of throughout my educational career, it would be to have attended more office hours with my professor. It’s not as scary as it seems. In fact, when you show to your professors that you are interested in receiving help or learning more, they will definitely help you out. 

Tucson is your home, embrace it

The Old Pueblo is a beautiful place. We’re a little big city. Everyone knows everyone. There’s more to life than the corporations that populate our major shopping plazas and malls. Check out some of the local shops that make our city unique, get on the streetcar and check out downtown, go taste some of the best Mexican food in the world, take your workout routine to Tumamoc Hill and get a breathtaking view of our city. Venture beyond Broadway Boulevard and Speedway Boulevard and you’ll fall in love with our home. 

Welcome to some of the best years of your life. Embrace these moments. I’m so excited for you. If I can ever be a resource for you, visit me on the third floor of the student union at the ASUA office or email me at asuapres@arizona.edu.

Bear Down,

Patrick Robles

Student Body President 2022-23

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter