Standout plays from Washington’s rout of Arizona football

Ana Beltran

Nathan Tilford (33) stiff-arming a Washington player during a play which resulted in him making a touchdown. Unfortunately, the cats lost at home with a score 51-27.

Last night, Washington football handed the Wildcats their second loss of the season and first one at home with a 51-27 victory. Here are some of the standout plays that went down at Arizona Stadium last night:

Jamarye Joiner’s 40-yard touchdown late in the second quarter last night helped Arizona climb back from a 3-13 deficit. Joiner’s touchdown combined with Havrisik’s PAT brought Arizona within striking distance from the Huskies just before the Wildcats eventually went on to take the lead at halftime.

This play alone accounted for over 20% of Tate’s passing yards (40 out of 184) and over 70% of Joiner’s receiving yards (40 out of 55) on the night. In addition, this play was also Tate’s only touchdown pass on a night where Tate was clearly out of his normal groove.

On a night where Arizona’s offense was undoubtedly struggling to keep up with the Huskies, running back J.J. Taylor accounted for almost 60% of Arizona’s rushing yards (89 out of 151). This play followed Joiner’s 40-yard touchdown reception to bring Arizona back into the picture. Taylor’s 1-yard touchdown run combined with Havrisik’s PAT gave Arizona a 17-13 lead and a lot of momentum going into halftime.

What happened in the second half was a different story for the Wildcats, but the two touchdowns by Joiner and Taylor late in the second quarter gave Arizona fans a moment of hope in a game where they certainly needed it. This was Taylor’s only touchdown on the night, although it accounted for only a tiny percentage of his total rushing yards (1 out of 89).

Any spectator at last night’s game could argue that Arizona defense kept the Wildcats in contention during the first quarter. Arizona kept the Huskies to a measly 3-for-13 on third down conversions last night with some impressive fourth down stops as well.

In the second half, the defense was a different story, as the Wildcats let the Huskies put up 38 points in 30 minutes of action. Linebacker Tony Fields II and defensive lineman Trevon Mason led the way in solo tackles for Arizona with five each and safety Scottie Young, Jr. trailed right behind them with four.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter.