Football notes: Putton passes citizenship test, Morrison to see more time at WR

Gordon+Bates+%2F+Arizona+Daily+Wildcat%0A+
GKB
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Chris Putton, a starting guard for the Arizona football team last season, has been faced with the tough task of transitioning to left tackle due to injuries and suspensions. But after practice Monday, protecting quarterback Matt Scott’s blind side wasn’t anywhere near Putton’s mind. Instead, U.S. government and history were.

Putton traveled to Phoenix on Tuesday to take the 100-question citizenship test.

“I need to know things like when the Constitution was written, all about the House of Representatives and the Senate,” Putton said. “It’s going to be pretty crazy.”

Born in Munich, Germany, Putton said he is not getting a dual citizenship because he really is just an American at heart.

“I definitely don’t,” Putton said when asked if he considers himself a German citizen. “I love my family there but I’m not going to live there anymore so I might as well get my citizenship here.”

According to Putton, he passed the test on Tuesday and is set to be sworn in as a U.S. citizen on the most patriotic day of all — July 4.

The fact that he isn’t even technically a permanent U.S. resident at the moment — he has a green card — isn’t something many people know.

“I guarantee you a lot of my teammates don’t even know that I’m not a citizen here,” Putton said. “They know I was born in Germany, but they don’t know I’m not a citizen.”

Going forward, Putton will play a key role in protecting Scott, whether it’s at guard or his personally preferred left tackle position. Wherever he does line up, he will be proud to finally be doing it as a U.S. citizen.

“This place has been where I’ve grown up, I came here when I was 7,” Putton said. “I’ve spent more time here than I have there. This is my home now so I might as well make it permanent.”

Morrison limited by shoulder injury

Converted wide receiver Richard Morrison was supposed to challenge Matt Scott for his starting spot in the spring, but he has been unable to adequately challenge the redshirt senior after injuring his shoulder in the Wildcats’ first scrimmage. Since then, he has been taking few snaps at quarterback.

“He’s been really limited,” head coach Rich Rodriguez said. “It’s been frustrating for him and everybody since he hasn’t been able to throw as much as we’d like. He’s been at least able to learn the offense, I think that’s the biggest thing we want to see, if he can learn everything a quarterback has to learn.”

Despite his early setback, Rodriguez still sees the sophomore playing a key role thanks to his versatility as both quarterback and receiver, and not just as a decoy.

“The thing we wanted to do is make sure we’re not putting him in there as a so-called ‘Wildcat’ type of quarterback where he’s no threat to throw,” Rodriguez said. “He can throw the football, and he can throw it very well.

“He’ll probably play more receiver than quarterback in the last couple practices but we want to turn him loose as well, I think it’s been a good move, and it’s been a move we’ll be able to keep him at quarterback in the fall.”

Morrison had 22 catches for 201 yards and two touchdowns as a receiver in 2011.