Police Beat

Three students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for code of conduct violations after the smell of marijuana was noticed coming from a room at Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., at 10:13 p.m. Oct. 17, reports stated.

Police knocked on the door three times before the students responded. While the officer was waiting, he could hear voices and movement in the room. The odor of marijuana could be smelled in the hallway.

When police were let into the room, there were two men and a third was in the restroom. All three of the men denied smoking marijuana.

After lengthy questioning, one of the men admitted to bringing a joint into the room. The man said he had been smoking on his way to the dorm.

The men said when the police knocked on the door, the joint was put out and flushed down the toilet. The officer asked the students why the joint had to be put out if they weren’t smoking in the room.

A $265 palm pilot was stolen from an office at University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., Oct. 19, reports stated.

The university employee said she left the palm pilot on her desk when she left work at 5:05 p.m. Oct. 18. When she returned the next morning at 7:38 a.m., the PDA was gone.

A $50 program, “”Documents to Go,”” was also missing. The woman said she would have to buy a new copy to replace it.

There was no sign of forced entry and no latent prints that police could gather.

There is no suspect information.

A man was transported to the hospital after police found him standing in the middle of a roadway at 10:07 a.m. Oct. 19, reports stated.

The delusional man was standing in the middle of the intersection at North Tyndall Avenue and East Second Street. His bike was lying on the ground next to him.

The man told police he was off his medication and wanted to go to the hospital.

Tucson Fire Department responded to the scene and took the man to University Medical Center for treatment.

The bike was placed into University of Arizona Police Department property for safekeeping.

A man was arrested and booked into Pima County Jail for attempted theft of a bicycle, trespassing and possession of burglary tools Oct. 19, reports stated.

Police responded to reports of a man trying to open a lock and possibly steal a bike from a north-side bike rack at Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St. at 12:05 p.m.

The man was standing by a bike rack talking on a cell phone when police arrived. The man was wearing a helmet and said he was going to see a doctor in the area.

A check on the man’s license turned out several reports for suspicious activity. The man had already been warned for trespassing on campus.

At first the man refused to let police look inside his backpack. He then admitted he planned to steal a bike, but his girlfriend called and he was thinking about changing his mind.

The man told police he did not mind handing over his tools and gave the officer a pair of black bolt cutters from his bag.

The man admitted to police that he had a drug problem. He said he would steal bikes and sell them for $20 to support “”his habit.”” The man would not tell police who he sells the bikes to.

Police placed the man’s bolt cutters and personal bike into property and evidence and transported him to Pima County Jail.

A $1,500 laptop was stolen from the Education building, 1430 E. Second St., Oct. 19, reports stated.

The man said he stepped out of the room between 1:45 p.m. and 1:48 p.m. When he returned, the laptop was gone.

The laptop was property of the university and had stickers on it indicating that the school owned it.

The man was able to give police the serial number.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu