Police Beat: February 24

Classy flasks

Two UA students were arrested on charges of possession of marijuana and alcohol on the top level of Main Gate Parking Garage on Feb. 14 at 12:35 a.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer noticed a man and a woman sitting on the ground of the parking garage and approached them because of the scent of marijuana wafting off of them.

Both of the students denied being high and said they could not smell anything. Two other officers arrived on the scene, and the students were separated and questioned.

The officer could not find any drugs or paraphernalia on the woman, but did discover a flask of Jack Daniel’s Whiskey in her purse. The woman admitted that the flask contained “Honey Jack.”

The man said he did not want to get his fellow student in trouble, but produced a multicolored glass pipe with marijuana still in the bowl. When asked if it belonged to the woman, he simply nodded his head.

He then pulled out a Batman flask with his name written on it and handed it over to the officer, saying that it contained vodka. After submitting to further searching, a full 50 mL bottle of SKYY Vodka was found in his right jacket pocket.

When the woman noticed that the man had given the pipe up to the police, she consented to a search, and a small baggie with half a gram of dope was found in her jacket pocket.

Both students were 19, so they were both cited for minor in possession and possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.

‘Don’t tell them anything!’

Two UA students were cited for underage drinking on Feb. 14 at 1:25 a.m. outside of Coronado Residence Hall.

Two UAPD officers were patrolling near Park Student Union when the one of the officers noticed two students get out of a car in the Coronado traffic circle. One of the students exited the vehicle and fell. After attempting to get up, she fell again and had to be helped up by her friend, who was having difficulty walking as well.

The officers approached the students, who smelled strongly of alcohol, and attempted to question them, but the woman who had fallen kept telling her friend, “Don’t tell them anything,” so they had to be separated and questioned individually.

The woman was very argumentative and defensive and would not submit to either a Breathalyzer or other intoxication tests, insisting that she was not drunk despite her slurred speech, red, watery eyes and difficulty walking. She refused to give any personal information besides her name and date of birth, and said she did not want to answer any questions. The woman kept repeatedly asking to speak with her father, even though the officer informed her that she was an adult and did not need her father for the situation she was in and that she could speak with him after the investigation.

The officer then cited her for minor in possession, but the woman did not want to sign the citation, and only did so when told that she could be booked into jail if she didn’t.

The second student was much more cooperative, and told the second officer that she and her friend had been at a party off campus drinking Vitali Vodka straight out of the bottle. She admitted to being drunk and was cited for minor in possession.