Foles finally plays after Vick goes down with injury

David Maialetti
Eagles' Nick Foles passes the pass during the 4th quarter at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Sunday, November 11, 2012. The Dallas Cowboys beat the Philadelphia Eagles, 38-23. (David Maialetti/Philadelphia Daily News/MCT)

In the Philadelphia Eagles’ 38-23 loss to the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, quarterback Michael Vick went down with an apparent concussion in the first half and was replaced by former Arizona quarterback Nick Foles.

Foles, the Wildcats all-time leader in passing yards (10,011), touchdowns (67), attempts (1,369) and completions (933), is the first UA quarterback to take a regular season NFL snap since Bill Demory in 1973 for the New York Jets. Arizona has started 45 different quarterbacks since then.

He entered the game to a standing ovation from the Lincoln Financial Field faithful, but went three-and-out on his first drive.

Foles’ play did improve, however, as he finished the game with 219 passing yards and one touchdown, completing 69 percent of his 32 passes.

“He did a nice job in keeping his eyes down the field when he was under the pressure,” said Eagles head coach Andy Reid, per the Philadelphia Inquirer. “There were a couple plays he’d like to have back. I thought he got the ball out on time. He handled the pressure well when it was in his face.”

Vick’s concussion was serious, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer and Reid, and it is likely that Foles will start in Philadelphia’s matchup with the Washington Redskins this Sunday.

“We’ll go through the protocol here, I’ll just tell you it was a pretty good one,” Reid said, according the Inquirer. “What I’m telling you right now is it’s a significant concussion.”

The Eagles lost their fifth straight game for the first time under Andy Reid.