Tennis Headline

The Arizona men’s tennis team travels to Montgomery, Ala. this weekend to participate in the prestigious Blue/Gray Classic. The Wildcats’ first match-up is against No. 17 Texas Tech, and they are guaranteed to play three matches over the course of three days.

Last Sunday, the No. 46 Wildcats (5-2) hosted the then-No. 48 ranked Denver and managed to pull out an impressive victory as they swept the doubles action on all courts and added four singles wins in a 5-2 final score. Senior Andres Carrasco, junior Jason Zafiros, freshman Andre Vidaller and senior Geoff Embry won the singles matches for the Wildcats.  

Texas Tech is the No. 1 seed in the tournament, and, with a victory, the Wildcats would face the winner of a Boise State and Auburn match-up. The last time the Wildcats faced the Red Raiders was in February of 2010 with Texas Tech coming out on top with a 4-3 win.

The women’s team is hoping to continue its hot streak of late, as the Wildcats have won four of their last five games. Last weekend, in their first two games at home in over three weeks, the Wildcats were equally dominant, beating Utah and Rice in consecutive 6-1 victories.

Sarah Landsman was a stand-out for the Wildcats, winning in all four of her matches (both singles and doubles), highlighted by beating No. 114 ranked Anastasia Putilina from Utah by scores of 6-0, 7-5.

“”She (Landsman) really stepped up (last) weekend,”” head coach Vicky Maes said. “”This was her first time playing at number one. She has proven herself over the years, being our most consistent player in team play, and, after the past weekend, I felt we really needed to give her a chance. She has the ability to drive a lot of people crazy on the court.””

The No. 41-ranked Wildcats will travel to Boise, Idaho, this weekend to play two ranked opponents in No. 42 Boise State and No. 46 Saint Mary’s. If the Wildcats can pull out two more impressive victories again this weekend, then they will go into the upcoming commencement of Pacific 10 Conference play on a much-needed hot streak.

“”If we win two (games) this weekend, next Friday and Saturday are as big as Arizona women’s tennis can get,”” said assistant coach Jim Rosborough.