Soccer’s scoreless streak draws ire of defender Bodiya

Sophomore Gianna DeSaverio prepares to create a scoring chance with her left foot as she nears the goal against Oregon State goalie Melissa Onstad. DeSaverio leads the team with six goals but hasnt scored since the Oct. 8, 2-0 win against the Beavers.
    Sophomore Gianna DeSaverio prepares to create a scoring chance with her left foot as she nears the goal against Oregon State goalie Melissa Onstad. DeSaverio leads the team with six goals but hasn’t scored since the Oct. 8, 2-0 win against the Beavers.

It’s been a rough four games for the Arizona soccer team, as the Wildcats have failed to score in their last 448 minutes of play.

Although Arizona came away with a 0-0 tie against No. 30 USC and only gave up one goal to No. 3 UCLA, the statistic is a frustrating one, especially after falling to ASU 4-0 last Saturday.

“”(UA head) coach (Dan Tobias) says that we need to shoot to score, not shoot not to miss,”” junior defender Claire Bodiya said. “”I think we have been shooting not to miss.””

With the offense not scoring, the UA defense has been struggling with the pressures of trying to keep the ball out of the Arizona goal. Opponents have had plenty of chances, as sophomore goalkeeper Chelsea McIntyre leads the Pacific 10 Conference in saves with 99.

Bodiya said that not scoring goals has been killing her on the defensive end.

“”I’m disappointed,”” she said. “”There’s only so much I can do.””

Last year when the Wildcats needed a key goal, they had the services of then-senior forward Mallory Miller, last year’s Pac-10 Player of the Year, who led Arizona by a wide margin with 19 goals scored.

This year, sophomore forward Gianna DeSaverio, who tied for second with three goals last year, leads Arizona with just six goals entering the final weekend of the season.

“”Mallory is an exceptional player,”” Bodiya said. “”I miss her a lot, and I wish she were still here. She had confidence when she got the ball. She was selfish. Any forward should be. She knew it was going to go in.

“”It sucks because we don’t have someone like that.””

DeSaverio said although team morale is low and the past four games have been frustrating, she feels the team has just been unlucky.

But freshman midfielder Jacqueline Broussard does not care much for luck.

“”Luck only plays a small part,”” she said. “”(As a team) we are just not all on the same page.””

Broussard said there has been a communication breakdown within the team, but though it’s late in the season, she believes the “”communication can still be fixed.””

DeSaverio said, “”We just have to work harder and play better.””

Broussard said that after the ASU game, the entire team was disheartened. The Wildcats have been a defending team as of late, which does not bode well in terms of scoring.

“”Our defense plays with so much heart,”” Broussard said. “”The most frustrating part is our passing ratio in the offensive half of the field is just horrific.””

With the defense playing tough, losing is becoming exponentially more difficult to deal with.

“”Being a defender, and you lose, all eyes are on you, it’s your fault,”” Bodiya said. “”It’s hard if you have to defend for 90 minutes.””