UA and ASU engage in blood match

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Psychology freshman Andrew Devore squeezes a stress ball before donating blood Monday in the SUMC. Devore says he donates as often as he is medically allowed.

Students donated at the American Red Cross blood drive Monday in the north ballroom of the SUMC.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat Psychology freshman Andrew Devore squeezes a stress ball before donating blood Monday in the SUMC. Devore says he donates as often as he is medically allowed. Students donated at the American Red Cross’ blood drive Monday in the north ballroom of the SUMC.

The annual rivalry between the University of Arizona and Arizona State University is back, and the competition is about more than the football game — it’s a blood match.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona and ZonaZoo Crew are pairing up for the second time to create an incentive to donate blood for a better cause, said pre-business sophomore Luke De Vogalaere, of ZonaZoo Media and Communications. Various clubs and organizations will hold blood drives to contribute to the Territorial Blood Drive November 12, 16, 19 and 20. 

Students are encouraged to show their support for their university by donating blood to the American Red Cross.        

“”Students should participate in the event because there is a huge demand for blood right now and also because since it is the territorial blood drive, we need to beat our record from last year, and beat ASUA once again,”” said Abel Serratos, accounting junior, ZonaZoo Crew Member and blood drive commissioner.

Last year UA defeated ASU by 150 units of blood, De Vogalaere said. 

The blood drive is a way to curb the negative connotation of rivalry between the two Pacific 10 Conference schools, Serratos said. “”I think the blood drive takes a real positive spin. Both schools are working hard to get students to donate so they can win the competition and while doing so they are raising a lot of units of blood.”” 

Serratos said about 80 volunteers helped with the event yesterday and today. Students can register for Zona Zoo’s events at givelife.org, and walk-ins are also welcome.

“”Whoever wants to donate blood can come if they want,”” Serratos said.

Serratos said he was satisfied with the turnout yesterday.

“”We’re on track and expect to reach our goal,”” he said.

Students who give blood must first register, then complete a short health screening. After giving blood, students can drink juice and soda and eat cookies and chips while they recover.

Cori Friezen, a donor recruitment representative, said trained phlebotomists from the Red Cross are conducting the blood drive.

“”They’re definitely experts in what they do,”” she said.

Friezen said it is important to have blood donations ready and on the shelves of hospitals in case of emergencies.

“”You never know when you’re going to need it,”” she said. “”An hour of your life you’ve sacrificed can actually save someone else’s life.””

Molly Hilber, a pre-physiology freshman, said she had given blood once before yesterday’s blood drive. Hilber said she signed up for the blood drive on the mall.

“”I wanted to donate something, and I’m too poor to donate money,”” she said.

Andrew Devore, a psychology freshman, said he was unaware of the competition, but it might motivate more people to donate. Yesterday was his fifth time donating blood.

“”Someone, somewhere is going to need it,”” he said. “”I’ve got plenty to give.””

The following events count towards the Territorial blood drive:

Who: ZonaZoo Crew

When: November 10, 10:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Where: Student Union Memorial Center North Ball Room

To make an appointment go online at givelife.org or by phone at

1-1800-GIVE-LIVE

Who: College of Pharmacy

When: November 12, 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

To make an appointment email Debbie at doehnert@pharmacy.arizona.edu

Who: Campus Health

When: November 16, 11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Where: Highland Commons

To make an appointment call Terri West at 621-6489

Who: ZonaZoo Crew

When: November 19, 11:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Where: Main Library

1-1800-GIVE-LIVE

Who: Staff Advisory Council

When: November 20, 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Where: Main Library