SIFE fundraises for charity

The Students in Free Enterprise club hosted a fundraiser on the Mall Tuesday. All the proceeds from Tuesday’s event benefit SKRAPPY’S, a Tucson youth collective and community center for young disadvantaged artists to express their creativity.

The band Rescue Lights performed for the fundraiser behind the Student Union Memorial Center.

The Students in Free Enterprise club has 125 student members on campus and does community service activities.

“”We do a variety of different community service activities around town, from working with SKRAPPY’S to working with refugees,”” said Kourtney Nelson, the vice president of ethics for the Students in Free Enterprise club.

Since the stage near the Student Union Memorial Center was overbooked, Rescue Lights could not play there as originally planned.

“”We hope to have another event this week,”” said Brittany Verloo, co-president for the Students in Free Enterprise club.  

Sean Garza, vice president of environmental sustainability for the Students in Free Enterprise club said the organization creates projects that require business skills.

“”We’ve taught refugees how to fill out job applications, we’ve told them basic English phrases, how to create budgets, just general life skills,”” Garza said. 

The Students in Free Enterprise are also putting on the career expo in Bear Down Gymnasium from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today. All 125 members of the organization will be working at the career expo. There will be 37 companies from all different industries, including Pottery Barn and Apple. 

Last year 48 percent of students who attended secured job interviews and internships at the event. Students have the opportunity to be interviewed on the spot.