Police Beat: Dec. 4

UAPD sees something wrong with a little bump and grind

University of Arizona Police Department officers were on patrol on the west side of the Chemistry building on Nov. 24 at 9:10 p.m. when they observed a man on a skateboard performing tricks. According to police, the man was “”grinding”” on a curb as they approached. Officers made contact with the man and he identified himself as a university student. They advised him that performing skateboard tricks on campus was against university policy and warned him that future encounters with UAPD could lead to citations and/or impoundment of his skateboard. Officers reported no serious damage to university property as a result of the man’s actions.

Cooperative drunk man vomits in The Cellar

UAPD officers were dispatched to the Student Union Memorial Center on Nov. 25 at 1:04 a.m. in reference to a report of an intoxicated man in The Cellar Bistro. Upon arrival, officers met with a university employee who led them to the intoxicated man. The employee told officers that the man had entered the area earlier and had vomited. Officers made contact with the man who identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license. According to police, the man had red, watery eyes, slurred speech and the strong odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth as he spoke. Given his level of cooperation, officers told the man that in lieu of a citation, he would be diverted to the Dean of Students Office instead. He was released on scene and escorted back to his residence hall by three friends.

Man steals single pen, pays in pot

UAPD officers were on patrol near the Student Union Memorial Center on Nov. 25 at 2:19 p.m. when they were flagged down by a bookstore employee and advised that a shoplifting suspect was in custody. Officers made contact with the suspect, who identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license. He told police that he had entered the store and walked toward a shelf near the west wall. He then placed a loose pen into his left hand and walked out of the store, passing several points of sale along the way. The man stated that he had not tried to conceal the pen and refused to tell police whether his intent had been to pay for the pen or not. The man consented to a search of his back pack, in which officers found a bag containing a green, leafy substance, later identified as marijuana. Police also found a glass pipe and a rolling machine in the man’s possession. He was cited on charges of shoplifting, possession of marijuana and possession of narcotics paraphernalia. He was released on scene.

Man theorizes: the only way to beat the tests is not to try

UAPD officers were on patrol near the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory on Nov. 26 at 1:45 a.m. when they observed a black Hummer fail to stop at the stop sign at Sixth Avenue and Drachman Street. Officers initiated a traffic stop near Lee Street and Sixth Avenue. As officers approached the vehicle, the driver opened the door and attempted to exit the vehicle. Officers advised the man to remain in the vehicle and he complied. Upon contact, officers noticed that the man was chewing on a mint. They also observed that he had bloodshot eyes and the odor of intoxicants on his breath. The man mumbled several of his words as he stated that he had a “”few”” drinks earlier that evening. He claimed that he was returning from his mother’s house and was on his way home. The man agreed to perform field sobriety tests but added that he saw no point in doing so, as he knew he would “”pass.”” Officers began to explain the instructions for the tests and again asked if the man was willing to perform them, to which he replied, “”No, I told you I wouldn’t.”” Based on their observations, officers placed the man under arrest for driving under the influence and handcuffed him. He was transported to the UAPD station for a breathalyzer test. At the station, officers discovered that their breathalyzer machine was not fully operational, and transported the man to the Tucson Police Department Station at 270 S. Stone Ave. Breath tests confirmed the man’s blood alcohol content was between .187 and .196. He was cited on charges of DUI-slightest degree, DUI-BAC above .08, extreme DUI-BAC above .15 and failure to stop for a stop sign. His vehicle was towed for a mandatory 30-day impound and he was released after a taxicab was dispatched to transport him home.

Man loves turkey enough to break the law

UAPD officers were on patrol in the area of Speedway Boulevard and Euclid Avenue on Nov. 26 at 1:24 p.m. when they observed a Toyota Camry displaying expired registration. A records check revealed that the license plate was actually registered to a Chevrolet Camaro. Officers initiated a traffic stop at Speedway Boulevard and Second Avenue and made contact with the driver, who identified himself with an Arizona driver’s license. The man told police that the Camry belonged to his girlfriend and the license plate belonged on his Camaro. He told police that the license plate for the Camry had been confiscated, and in order to go to Thanksgiving dinner with his girlfriend, he had put the license plate from his Camaro onto his girlfriend’s Camry. He was cited on charges of knowingly displaying a fictitious license plate and failure to display valid registration on a vehicle. He was released on scene after being advised not to operate the Camry until the proper license plate could be acquired.