Football notes: Arizona Wildcats not seeking revenge against UCLA

File Photo / The Daily Wildcat

UA backup quarterback, B.J. Denker fills in for starter Matt Scott against UCLA during the 2012 season. UA lost the game 66-10

Revenge is said to be a dish best served cold, but it’s not something Arizona football head coach Rich Rodriguez is serving up.

Arizona (6-2, 3-2 Pac-12) won three straight games, setting up a big Homecoming game against No. 19 UCLA (6-2, 3-2) at home on Saturday. Even though UCLA beat No. 22 Arizona 66-10 in what was billed as a potential Pac-12 South championship game last season in Pasadena, Calif., Rodriguez said at the weekly press conference that revenge is not on his mind.

“I want us to be concerned with us,” Rodriguez said. “What revenge? They didn’t do nothing to our families.”

Wildcats impressed by Foles

A day after former Wildcat Nick Foles wowed the football world, Arizona praised him at the press conference.

On Sunday, the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback tied an NFL record with seven touchdown passes against the Oakland Raiders. Foles threw for 406 yards, completing 22 of 28 passes in the Eagles’ 49-20.

“I don’t watch any NFL, I don’t have any time, but I wish I did because Nick put on a clinic,” Rodriguez said.

Fifth-year senior receiver Terrence Miller played with Foles in 2009, 2010 and 2011.

“Nick has always been a baller,” Miller said. “He is one of those guys who stays in the film room and sets high goals for himself. When I hear that Nick Foles threw seven touchdown passes, I’m like, ‘OK.’ I expect that from a guy like him.”

Ermisch out

On Monday, Rodriguez also announced that junior receiver Trevor Ermisch tore his ACL in the win over Cal.

Ermisch has played mostly on special teams, in all eight games and made five tackles. He was named special teams Player of the Week by the coaches after the Colorado game.

“Trevor is probably our most productive special teams player,” Rodriguez said. “It was just a non-contact injury. He was literally just running down the field, making a cut across a guy’s face, and he just planted wrong or something on the turf.”

Commissioner Scott’s contract extended

On Monday, the Pac-12 announced that it extended commissioner Larry Scott’s contract through the 2017-18 academic year.

The conference’s “CEO Group,” its 12 university presidents and chancellors also named Scott the Executive Chairman of Pac-12 Enterprises.

“I am honored and gratified by the support from the CEO Group of our great institutions,” Scott said in a press release. “We have reached a number of key milestones in the past four years and none of this would have been possible without the vision and commitment of our board.”

During his four year reign as commissioner, the conference expanded from the Pac-10 adding Colorado and Utah and launched the Pac-12 Networks. The Conference of Champions also signed a $2.7 billion contract with ESPN and FOX.

“Larry’s leadership and vision is critical as we realize our tremendous potential as a Conference built on a firm foundation of academic excellence and superior athletic achievement,” said Dr. Elson S. Floyd, Washington State president and chair of the Pac-12 CEO Group in a press release. “Pac-12 Enterprises will continue to provide exposure to our athletic programs, student-athletes in all sports, and world-renowned academic programs, as well as deliver long-term financial value for our institutions to help fulfill our core academic missions.”

The tenure of Scott, the conference’s sixth commissioner, has been marred by Pac-12 Networks’ absence from DirecTV and officiating controversies. Last March, the Pac-12 fined Arizona men’s basketball head coach Sean Miller for his remarks about officials and a few weeks later officiating coordinator Ed Rush resigned despite support from Scott.

—Follow James Kelley @JamesKelley520