Police Beat

Brew-buzzed buddies busted

A man was arrested on multiple DUI charges and two traffic charges March 26 at 9:38 p.m.

While on patrol on Euclid Avenue, an officer saw a car that had only one headlight. The officer pulled the car over.

The officer noticed that the man in the car was swaying while sitting down. He also had a strong odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth. The officer asked the man if he had been drinking that evening. The man said, “”Yes, I have had three beers.””

More officers arrived to assist with the testing to determine whether the man was driving under the influence. While checking the car, one officer saw that the passenger had an open beer can between his legs. The man did not have any identification on him, and could not show that he was a legal resident of the United States, so Border Patrol was called.

The driver was given a portable breath test. He had a BAC of .151.

A records check of the driver showed that he did not have a valid driver’s license. The vehicle was impounded.

The driver was cited for DUI-Slightest Degree, DUI-BAC Greater than .08, Extreme DUI-BAC Greater than .15, two headlights required at night, and no valid driver’s license.

Sticky-fingered fellow charged for taking texts

A man was arrested on shoplifting charges March 26 at 1:55 p.m.

Police responded to the UofA Bookstore in reference to a man who had left the store without paying for two books. Security told the officers that the man was riding a blue mountain bike on University Boulevard.

Police made contact with the man on Park Avenue and University Boulevard. They told him that he had been stopped because a person matching his description had stolen some books from the bookstore. The man told officers that he was in the bookstore, but that he did not steal anything.

The man had a backpack and two briefcases with him. He gave his consent to officers to search his bags. In the backpack, police found bicycle parts and tools to work on bikes. In the smaller of the two briefcases, they found two new textbooks. In the larger briefcase, they found 12 new textbooks. The man told officers that he was not a student at the UA, but he collected books. He did not have any receipts for the books.

A security guard from the bookstore arrived on the scene and identified the man as the one who had taken the two books from the bookstore.

A records check showed that the man had been arrested for previous shoplifting convictions close to the UA, so the man was given an exclusionary order from the UA, banning him from any UA owned, rented or controlled property.

The man was transported to the Pima County Jail and booked for shoplifting.

Besotted boy’s bathroom break provokes police

A man was arrested on charges of being a minor in possession of alcohol March 26 at 1:20 a.m.

While on patrol, police saw a man walking unsteadily on the west side of the Arizona-Sonora residence hall. Police reported that he appeared to be looking for a place to urinate. The man walked to a secluded corner and reached for his crotch area.

When the man saw the officer, he began walking south on Tyndall Avenue until he passed the police car. When the officer turned around to see where the man had gone, he saw the man standing behind a utility box and telephone pole trying to hide. The officer observed the man peak his head around the pole and pull it back.

The officer drove up to the man, exited the vehicle and asked him what he was looking for. The man said he was not looking for anything. The officer noticed that the man’s eyes were bloodshot and watery. When asked for his identification, the man said that he did not have any to show the officer. The officer then noticed a strong odor of intoxicants coming from the man’s mouth. His speech was also slurred.

He was then asked again for his identification. The man gave the officer his driver’s license. He said that he was visiting a friend of his, who was with him during the incident.

He told the officer that he did not wish to answer if or how much he had been drinking or how he had obtained the alcohol. He said that he did not have a fake ID. He refused to provide a breath sample, but told the officer he would provide a blood sample.

The man’s friend said they had been drinking at a friend’s house off-campus earlier in the evening.

The man was taken to the Pima County Adult Detention Center where he was booked for being a minor in possession of alcohol.