Busting health myths, one post at a time

Carly Markovich

The University of Arizona’s Health Sciences Innovation Building is a powerhouse of innovative research. Currently, research teams are working on a potential treatment for post-stroke dementia.

Health Cats is an on-campus branch of the Student Health Advocacy Committee where club members create newsletters and social media posts in hopes to spread awareness about health-related topics. 

Student Health Advocacy Committee is a club on campus that advocates for health and wellness through various committees such as health and wellness, fitness, nutrition, outreach and then the newest subcommittee, Health Cats. 

Himanshi Kapoor, a UA neuroscience and cognitive science senior is the founder of Health Cats and the current chair of the committee. Each member of SHAC is required to create an initiative, and Kapoor’s idea was the newsletter. 

RELATED: Arizona Board of Regents approves contract extension and raise for Arizona Athletics director

“The idea of Health Cats would be to educate the campus,” Kapoor said. “I felt like during [COVID-19] there was a lack of real information being spread on social media outlets. There was a lot of fake news being spread about [COVID-19] and other topics in general, so to bridge that gap, I started Health Cats.”

Health Cats started last March as a newsletter that was supposed to be hung around campus in hub places such as on-campus dorms. However, Kapoor suggested that they transform the newsletter into informative social media posts on their Instagram @SHAC_UA, to be more accessible to students. 

“Even if people just get one fact from our Instagram posts, at least they took something from it,” Kapoor said. 

You can check out the Health Cats newsletter at asuashac.wixsite.com/home.

Follow Annabel Lecky on Twitter