Police Beat

Tickets probably won’t help man’s depression…

A man was arrested for two DUI charges and speeding Feb. 24 at 11:32 p.m.

While on patrol, an officer saw a car in the middle lane traveling eastbound on Speedway Boulevard accelerating very quickly through a light that had just turned green. The officer then caught up with the vehicle in order to begin pacing it. When the officer caught up, he noted that the car was going 60 mph. The light on Tucson Boulevard turned red while the car was traveling, so it quickly stopped. There was already a car in front of the vehicle so the vehicle moved to the next lane without a turn signal, right in front of the officer. When the car began to accelerate again, it drifted over the lane divider near the curb and then moved into the center lane. The vehicle was traveling at 62 mph.

The officer pulled the car over and advised the driver that it was because of speeding. The man told the officer he did not realize that he was speeding. He appeared surprised when he was told that the speed limit was 35 mph. The officer noticed a strong smell of intoxicants coming from the man’s breath. The man also had watery, bloodshot eyes, slurred, slow speech, and slow reactions while getting his license, registration and insurance.

The officer asked the man to step out of the vehicle. When he did, he was unsteady on his feet and swayed while standing on the asphalt. He told the officer there was recently a change in the medications he was taking for depression.

Two more officers arrived to help administer a field sobriety test. After being given the test, officers determined that there was sufficient evidence to arrest the man for driving under the influence.

The man was taken to the University of Arizona Police Department station where he was given a breathalyzer test. He had blood alcohol content of .138 and .148.

The man was cited for DUI-impaired to the slightest degree, DUI-BAC over .08 and speeding.

Bicyclist cited for running stop sign

A man was cited for running a stop sign on his bicycle Feb. 24 at 3:05 p.m.

While on motorcycle patrol at Park Avenue and James E. Rogers Way, an officer saw a man riding a bicycle northbound, and pass him without stopping at the stop sign.

The officer rode up next to the man and asked him, “”Don’t you think you should have stopped for that sign?””

The man responded, “”I didn’t know I had to.””

The officer informed him that he needed to. The officer continued riding north to Park Avenue and Second Street. The officer then saw the same man go past him and fail to stop at the stop sign while turning east on to Second Street.

The officer activated his lights and pulled up next to the man on the bicycle, telling him to pullover. The man seemed reluctant, so the officer cut off the bicyclist’s lane of travel, forcing the bicycle to pull over.

The officer asked the man for his driver’s license, but the man said that he did not have one. The officer then asked for the man’s CatCard. He told the officer he did not have it on him.

The officer got off of the motorcycle and began to take off his helmet when the man tried to take-off, pedaling his bicycle. The officer grabbed the man’s left wrist and the back of his neck in order to stop him. He told the man that he was making a very poor decision over a simple civil infraction.

The man was told to sit on the curb, with which he complied.

The man was asked if he received any injuries. He said no and refused medical attention.

The man was issued a citation and let go.

Con artist chisels callow student

A man contacted police in reference to a larceny charge Feb. 24 at 12:38 p.m.

Police responded to a larceny complaint at the Wells Fargo inside of the Student Union Memorial Center. They made contact with a student who said on Feb. 20 he was near the Chick-Fil-A, in the student union, when he was approached by an unknown man. He described the man as 5-foot-9, around 230 pounds, dark skinned, mostly likely Middle Easterm and neatly dressed.

The unknown man struck up a conversation with the student, telling him that he wore out his Global Positioning Satellite and was looking for a bank so he could deposit his check. The student told the man there was a Wells Fargo around the corner inside the building. While walking the unknown man to the bank, the unknown man told the student he had a check for $480 and he needed cash to get a new battery for his GPS. The student told the unknown man that he could get $300 out of his account now.

The unknown man said that would be great and he would meet the student for lunch the next day so that he could get the other $180 from the student. The student took $300 out of his account and gave it to the man. He then gave the man a deposit envelope to put the check in so he could put it in the student’s account. The student said he remembered the man putting the deposit envelope into the bank deposit box, but he never actually saw the check during his encounter with the man.

The unknown man never contacted the student the next day to get his $180.

The student said that he wanted to press charges if the man was found. There are no witnesses and no suspects.