Local Tucson bands take stage with Takers Leavers Thursday

Takers Leavers and supporting Tucson local bands will be performing on Thursday, Sept. 29 at The Edge Bar. (The image is the flyer created for the event.) Photo credit: Cameron Norris

On Thursday, Sept. 29, California post-hardcore band Takers Leavers will be hitting the stage at The Edge Bar with other local Tucson bands and a Texas band. 

Light the Fire, a band from Dallas, Texas, will be touring with Takers Leavers and NVRLESS, Nightstand, Friends in Hell and Headhunt will be Tucson’s local support for the night. 

This event welcomes attendees of all ages and will start at 7 p.m. Presale tickets start at $10 and tickets bought the night of start at $12. 

Post-hardcore trio band Nightstand has been together for about three and a half years and consists of Lucas Porter (vocals and guitar), Tyler Pitman (bass) and Mikey Gallardo (drums and backup vocals).

They have played at local venues such as Encore, Groundworks and House of Bards.

Recently, the band released their first EP titled “Spruce” on May 28.

“We ended up writing a new song, and I didn’t want to just release it as a single. I kind of wanted to give our old songs another chance and re-record them. So we just ended up putting out an EP with everything,” Porter said.

Overall, the band feels the EP has been well received, with around 1,000 streams already.

Since the members are of college student age, they feel their music can easily resonate with that particular audience. 

“The stuff that we listen to and the stuff that we are influenced by is from a lot of stuff that people our age listen to. I also think a lot of what we do is very relatable. It can help out a lot of people that are kind of going through the same shit we’re writing about,” Gallardo said.

NVRLESS is a five-piece alternative metal band that’s been together for a year with all the current members. Members include Kacey Foxx (vocals), Kyle Korda (guitar), Garrett Franklin (bass), Jourdyn Shelby (vocals) and Cory Real (drums).

The group recently had their first show and tour with Escape the Fate, and they also performed at Welcome to Rockville in Florida in May 2022; however, this show will be their very first hometown show.

Their most recent release is a single titled “Gaslight.” 

“”Gaslight’ was written at the end of the pandemic, around the end of 2020. I was going through a really rough time, like the beginning of a breakup manifesting itself. So I wrote ‘Gaslight’ about my current ex, but I didn’t really know it at the time,” Foxx said. 

The band has something to put forward for all sorts of listeners.

“It’s a good blend of modern pop music and something more heavy or alternative. We offer both of those genres to our listeners,” Foxx said.

Their newest song titled “Fake It” comes out on Sept. 23.

Post-hardcore band Takers Leavers hails from California and has been together since around 2016. 

In the band, Rob McDonald plays drums, Mayauel “May” Garavito and Robby Friend play guitar and David Baqi sings. 

Their newest release “Indigo” was made very organically.

“The writing process of it was a lot different from what we normally do. It just kind of came out,” McDonald said. 

Baqi shared how the band has been and how they are now.

“Historically, we’ve been a very guitar-forward band, and in this moment we were like ‘Okay, we got the guitar part, cool. Let’s focus on the structure of the song,’ which is really interesting for us to do,” Baqi said. 

The band is working on a full-length album, but they’re still trying to find their sound.

“Because we’re still such a younger group of people working together, we’re still figuring out what our definitive formulas are,” Baqi said.

Attendees can look forward to a high-energy performance from talented, local voices and maybe even a newfound love for new bands. The event will be held on Sept. 29 at The Edge Bar and beginning at 7 p.m.

Follow Amanda Mourelatos on Twitter