Basketball: Parrom’s mother dies

Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat Arizona Wildcats Mens Basketball players greet media in preparation for the upcoming season on Wednesday, October 12th at UA’s Richard Jefferson Gymnasium.

Lisa Williams, Arizona basketball forward Kevin Parrom’s mother, has died after a struggle with cancer.

“I Love You Momma! You Dont Have To Deal With No More Pain And Now You Can Watch Ya Baby Boy Make You Proud From Up Above. Love You Ma ! RIP,” Parrom tweeted Sunday night.

Williams’ health was the reason Parrom visited his home in New York when he was shot twice on Sept. 24.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Kevin and his family at this most difficult time,” Arizona head coach Sean Miller said in a statement. “I have never been around a young person who has dealt with more hardship in such a short period of time than Kevin.”

“I ask all Arizona Wildcat fans to join us on Saturday, Oct. 22, at 2 p.m. at our annual Red-Blue Game to be there when we introduce Kevin Parrom as a part of our 2011-12 team. He will rely on all of us here in Tucson for support in moving forward.”

While visiting his critically ill mother in the hospital on Sept. 24, Parrom was shot in his right leg and left hand by Jason Gonzalez of Bronx, New York, in Parrom’s father’s apartment.

Over the summer, the 6-foot-6 junior’s grandmother also died.

“I’ve been through everything,” Parrom told the Daily Wildcat during last week’s media day. “That’s how I’m staying composed. I lost my grandmother this summer so I’m just using my family as my motivation. That’s why I’m staying composed. I’ll be alright. I’m tough. I’ll get through this.”

Paige said Parrom’s plans for any potential return to New York were private at this point.