Racist flyers found on UA campus, UAPD investigating

Lexi Horsey
The University of Arizona Police Department on Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019, in Tucson.

Racist flyers and stickers have been found around the University of Arizona campus. The flyers, which include a racist symbol, have threatening language directed towards Black people. They were reported to UA Police Department on June 30, who are investigating a report of stickers with hate/bias-based content.

“In regard to the flyers content were not disclosing that right now just because the investigation is still open, but we found the flyers from a caller,” said UAPD Officer Rene Arriaga.

According to UAPD’s public statement, the flyers were located on light poles, buildings and electrical boxes around East Second Street and Park Avenue. 

RELATED: 800 sign petition requesting downsizing of UAPD, following COBA demands

“A couple more were located that day but since then we have not located any and no one has come forward with others,” UAPD said.

According to the statement, when officers responded to the area, they learned that the reporting party had taken down two stickers prior to their arrival. UAPD officers conducted an area check which led to them finding three more stickers. 

One Twitter user said they found one on the corner of Euclid Avenue and Fourth Street. 

UA President Robert C. Robbins released a statement July 2 about the racist stickers posted on campus. 

“These hateful, threatening displays contradict everything we stand for as a community, and I condemn them in the strongest possible terms,” Robbins said.

Robbins further discussed the actions UAPD took when they learned about the stickers and said UAPD and UA personnel will continue to search campus for any remaining stickers or flyers.

The police report advises people to report hate/bias stickers to UAPD at 520-621-8272 or 911, and call 911 immediately if you see suspicious activity. 

The UAPD Special Investigations Unit is actively working this case, but no suspects have been identified at this time.

Editor’s Note: This article has been updated with a statement from UA President Robert C. Robbins.

Follow Jillian Bartsch on Twitter