Police Beat: April 18

Drunk and disorderly

A UA student was cited and released on a minor in possession charge outside of Villa del Puente Residence Hall after starting a fight at 2:30 a.m. on April 12.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers came in contact with the student when they approached a group of five men arguing on the sidewalk outside the residence hall. Police asked the group to break it up and told them to sit on the curb.

One of the men told police he’d overheard his friend arguing with another possibly intoxicated man, who was cursing and taunting his friend.

The friend said he had been walking outside the residence hall when the other man began cursing at him.

Another officer then spoke with the man accused of initiating the incident, who became argumentative. He denied drinking, but police suspected he was lying because he showed signs of intoxication, according to the police report. The man soon admitted he had had a “few drinks.”

He was cited for minor in possession of spirituous liquor in body and released.

Hands off, ‘bro’

A UA student reported that he was assaulted in the Meinel Optical Sciences building at 4:36 p.m. on April 12.

The incident had occurred several hours earlier while he was waiting outside a classroom, the student said.

While not injured, the man said a stranger had punched him in the arm and said, “Hey, bro,” before laughing and walking away. A similar offense had occurred a week earlier, when the same man had slapped him on the arm with an open hand and said, “Hey, bro.”

The officer then spoke with a witness who didn’t know the suspect, but had seen him raise both fists in the air and laugh after slapping the man.

The victim described the suspect to police, saying he felt as if he was being targeted, but not in danger. There are currently no suspects, but the student said he would prosecute once the man was identified.

A case of mistaken identity

A UA student was asked to identify himself after several students and faculty failed to recognize him in Roy P. Drachman Hall at 4:20 p.m. on April 12.

UAPD went to the building after receiving the report, and the reporting party led them to the individual.

The reporting party said they were suspicious of the man, who was working in a computer room, because of a previous time when the man had failed to identify himself.

When police spoke to the man, he was visibly upset due to the request. He said he was being “profiled” and became agitated, then began to pack his belongings.

Police performed a records check, found the man was a student and told him he didn’t have to leave because he wasn’t violating any policies. The student repeated that he felt he was being profiled and knew who was responsible for the report.

As police left, they saw the man speaking with a university employee, but he refused an offer to speak with police.