Police Beat: January 24

Something in here is illegal

A student was found to be in possession of an air soft pistol on the top level of Sixth Street Garage on Saturday at around 10:40 p.m.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to an alarm call at Sixth Street Garage. As the officers made their way to the roof of the garage, they noticed three male individuals in a stairwell. The individuals noticed the officers and began making their way up the stairwell. The officers followed the individuals to the roof of the garage. When they reached the roof, the individuals made their way towards the elevator, but stopped when approached by one of the officers.

The three individuals had no involvement with the alarm call. One of the individuals, a UA student, appeared to be very nervous. The student told the officer that he was in possession of a hookah pipe and thought the pipe was illegal to have on campus. The officer informed the student that the hookah pipe was not illegal, and asked to see the pipe. The student agreed to show the officer the pipe.

When the student was opening the wooden box where the pipe was kept, he told the officer that he also had an air soft pistol in the box. The officer told the student to step aside, and then took the box. The box contained the hookah pipe along with a silver and chrome air soft pistol. The student stated the air soft pistol belonged to a friend.

The student continued to act nervously and asked if he could place his hands in his jacket pocket to keep warm. The officer told him to empty out his pockets first. The student did so and the officer noticed a green leafy residue on his hand, later revealed to be marijuana. The student said he had found marijuana on the stairwell of the garage. The two other individuals were asked about the marijuana and they confirmed the student’s story of finding it on the stairwell.

The owner of the air soft was only 17-years-old, so the officer contacted his mother. The mother told the officers to keep it until she could pick it up.

The student admitted to knowing that the air soft pistol was not allowed on campus and apologized to the officer for hiding the marijuana.

A Code of Conduct form was sent to the Dean of Students Office.

Smooth like Keith Stone

A student received diversion for minor in possession of alcohol on Saturday at 11:53 p.m.

A UAPD officer was driving down First Street when he noticed two female students walking down the road. When the officer got closer, one student pulled her right hand close to her chest. The student then threw a blue aluminum onto the front lawn of the Alpha Phi sorority house. The officer asked the students to stop. The officer then went over to the lawn and found a can of Keystone
Light beer that was still cold.

The officer noticed no signs of alcohol consumption from either of the students. The officer then explained the UA Diversion program to the student who threw the can. The student said she understood the program and asked to be considered for it. The student then said she had received the beer at the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house.

The student was diverted to the Dean of Students Office.