Column: Trump might be crazy but he’s good [political] television

Donald Trump is changing the landscape of American politics, and believe it or not, it is for the better.

His blonde wig-sporting, insult-wielding disregard for left-wing haters and media criticism is in stark contrast to the majority of blandly polished politicians we have been exposed to in the last few years.

After watching a few GOP debates, it was evident that each of the candidates other than Trump were in a contest to convince the country that they loved America more than the others. Each of the candidates (besides Trump) were boring, said nothing that moved the needle and made it apparent that they wanted to keep a safe and polished stance in most situations.

Enter Donald Trump. Love him or hate him, you understand what his platforms are and that they are unconventional and unique to say the least.

“We are going to build a wall,” Trump has said. As outrageous and downright comical as his statement was, it’s a new way of thinking that he is bringing to debates and politics.

Will there be tremendous backlash for most of Trump’s views and antics? Yes. Will every televised sentence of his be scrutinized and meme-ified? No doubt. But how Trump differs from the average dude in Washington is that not only is he not fazed by the critics, he (at least appears) to hold firm to what he believes is the right thing to do.

A lot has been made of his immigration plan, which includes ending birthright citizenship and deporting all undocumented migrants, but he has not wavered from his stance. The criticisms come and go, opponents attack, but his message stays the same.

We know what Trump stands for, and whether we agree or disagree, it does not really matter to him. He wants to make America great again.

This isn’t about whether you find him likable or agree with Trump’s policies. It’s about a non-politician getting into politics for something they believe in and not bending at the whims of public opinion or party interests.

I know that I am ready for more individuals like that to be in meaningful roles in Washington.

I’m not the only one that realizes how Trump is changing things in politics. Recently documented in a CNN article, self-made billionaire Mark Cuban had Trump’s back when it came to his presidential campaign.

Cuban said, “I don’t care if [Trump] says the wrong thing. He says what’s on his mind. He gives honest answers rather than prepared answers. This is more important than anything any candidate has done in years.”

Cuban sees it. There’s something unsettling about how most candidates are so concerned with public image and “electability” than actually standing for something.

That’s why, almost hilariously, Trump has become a breath of fresh air for those of us who have become disillusioned with the U.S. political system.

Like it or not, Trump has opened a door for other passionate non-politicians to run for office. Based on Trump’s surprising popularity, we now know that many people will respect someone who is candid and believable. A well-deserving, non-politician who trusts that they can make change for the better now has a reason to believe they could be elected.

I may not vote for him, because I, too, think some of his ideas and views are insane, but real recognizes real, and Trump is the realest candidate in 2016.

Follow Scott Baca on Twitter.