Police Beat: Mar. 29

Anonymous caller helps suicidal friend

An unknown caller to UAPD reported a suicidal female on March 23.

The call was received at 10:30 p.m., and the caller said that the suicidal girl was driving south on Cherry Avenue from Fourth Street in a truck.

Two UAPD officers made contact with the reported vehicle and began speaking with the girl.

She was sitting on the wall across from McKale Center, crying loudly.

An officer asked the girl if she knew why she was being stopped.

“”Because I told my friend I was going to kill myself,”” she said.

When the officer asked why she said that, the girl replied “”Because I am going to kill myself.””

At this point, the officer contacted Southern Arizona Mental Health Corporation and explained the situation.

A team of employees arrived on the scene and spoke with the girl.

Around 15 minutes later, they spoke with the officers and said that she agreed to be transported to the facility and speak with one of their counselors.

The officer transported her to the facility where she met with staff and checked into the mental health facility.

Long Island fail

A male UA student was arrested for marijuana possession after parking improperly  on March 22.

A UAPD officer patrolling University Boulevard, heading toward Tyndall Avenue, observed a car stopped facing west in the center turn lane.

As the officer approached the vehicle, the car began to drive in reverse and turned into the lane directly in front of the patrol vehicle.

Immediately, the officer braked suddenly to avoid colliding with the car, stopping three feet shy of hitting the student.

The driver then continued to back the car into a parking spot on University Boulevard.

As he attempted to park the vehicle, the driver hopped the passenger side onto the curb.

The vehicle stopped and the officer turned on his emergency lights to meet with the driver.

The driver said that he had a couple of drinks and wasn’t very good at backing into parking spaces.

While talking, he stood steadily, did not show impairment of speech and only had a faint odor of alcohol on his breath.

He said that he drank two Long Island iced teas at T.G.I. Friday’s and was going to the Auld Dubliner to return his roommate’s car.

He voluntarily submitted to a portable breathalyzer test, which yielded a very low presence of alcohol.

While performing a records check on the driver, the officer found that his license was suspended.

The officer arrested him for driving on said suspended license.

While the driver began the paperwork, the officer performed an inventory search of the vehicle.

Inside the vehicle, the officer smelled marijuana and found a glass pipe and grinder in the center console.

The grinder had a trace amount of marijuana.

The driver said that he only smoked occasionally and had just finished the last of his marijuana before the officer pulled him over.

The officer added marijuana possession to his citation.

The student was cited and released on scene, and the car was towed.

A code of conduct referral was completed and forward to the Dean of Students Office.