Women’s golf stumbles again

The No. 7 Arizona women’s golf team had hoped to generate some positive momentum in the final round of the Las Vegas Founders Collegiate Showdown yesterday in Henderson, Nev. Instead, the team had its worst round of the tournament.

The Wildcats shot a final-round 10-over 298 and finished the tournament in a tie for eighth place. Arizona’s 54-hole tally of 25-over 889 was 34 strokes behind the tournament winner, No. 19 Oklahoma State.

Oklahoma State was the only team to finish under par, carding a 9-under 855 for the tournament. The Cowboys finished 10 strokes ahead of the runner-up, No. 2 ASU.

The Wildcats’ poor play as a team overshadowed another good effort from junior Alison Walshe. Walshe’s blistering final-round score of 4-under 68 was tied for the day’s lowest and vaulted her into a tie for fifth place.

Walshe’s tie for fifth place is her third top-five finish of the year.

Junior Mary Jacobs and sophomore Adriana Zwanck finished in 31st and 40th places, respectively. Jacobs shot a 7-over 223, while Zwanck shot an 8-over 224.

Sophomore Amanda Wilson, cited by UA head coach Greg Allen as a key to the team’s success this weekend, cooled off after a strong opening round and finished tied for 52nd place with a 13-over 229.

Redshirt senior Rachel Gavin finished the tournament in 81st place with a 23-over 239.

The Wildcats left Las Vegas immediately after the conclusion of their round and flew to Orlando, Fla., for this weekend’s Hooters Women’s Collegiate Match Play Championship.

The tournament, which will run tomorrow through Sunday, is the Wildcats’ last of the fall semester.