Arizona gymnastics team stumbles against rival Arizona State

Chloe Hislop

Zaza Brovedani doing her routine on the balance beam on Feb. 1, 2020, during the meet against the University of Utah. Brovedani was a freshman this year. 

The Arizona gymnastics team did not fare well in Desert Financial Arena as they lost to the Arizona State Sun Devils on Feb. 24 by a final score of 197.450-194.750, dropping its season record to 0-5.

The Wildcats kept it close during the first rotation on the uneven bars. Sophomore Malia Hargrove set a career-high with a score of 9.825, along with a perfectly stuck landing. Freshmen Bailey McCabe and Elena Deets also turned in great uneven parallel bar scores of 9.775. The meet score was only 49.325-48.750. That was as close as the Wildcats would ever get.

After stellar performances on the vault during the first rotation, ASU had three routines on the uneven bars that were scored 9.900 or higher. Sun Devil freshman Emily White scored a meet high 9.925 on the bars. On the other end, Arizona freshman Jessica Castles scored a career-high 9.850 on the vault to close out the second rotation. 

The third rotation is when Arizona fell apart. Three Wildcats fell during their floor exercise routines. One of those Wildcats was senior Laura Leigh Horton, who was unable to complete her routine due to the fall she took. While Arizona struggled on floor exercise, ASU dazzled on the balance beam. They were led once again by Emily White with a meet high score of 9.900 on the beam. 

By the start of the fourth rotation, Arizona looked mentally defeated and ASU was having a blast on their home court. The Wildcats finished the meet on the balance beam but slipping and landing deductions hurt them in the end. Sophomore Sirena Linton registered the fourth and final fall of the meet for the Wildcats on the balance beam.

RELATED: Play Ball: the Daily Wildcat baseball & softball podcast [S1 Ep1] 2021 campaigns kickoff!

ASU led the meet in individual scores and the all-around score. Arizona did not finish higher than third in any of the four categories.

The Wildcats will look for their first win of the season against Air Force Academy on Feb. 28 at 2 p.m. MST. 

Follow Sean Fagan on Twitter