Wildcat of the Week: UA Softball’s Mandie Perez

Courtney Talak
Arizona softball outfielder Mandie Perez (55) swings during a game against BYU on March 4 at Hillenbrand Stadium. (Something cool about her)

Arizona softball’s Mandie Perez had quite a day on Saturday, as she led the Wildcats to a 5-4 late comeback victory over the rival Sun Devils in Tempe.

Perez, who finished the day going 4-4 with two home runs, 4 runs batted in, 3 runs scored and slapping two singles, turned heads on the diamond.

Playing left field and leading off for the Wildcats, Perez scorched a single up the middle to start off the game. She found her way to third base moments later and eventually scored off a sac-fly from Katiyana Mauga. The Wildcats gained an early 1-0 lead.

In the third inning, Perez added to the lead as she blasted a 215-foot home run over the right field fence with a runner on, taking responsibility for two of Arizona’s three runs at that point

Looking to attack early in the count, Perez dug in once again in the fifth and managed to smash a single into right field for her third straight hit.

Although Perez had caught fire, the seventh and final inning came around and the Wildcats were against the fence as the game came down to their final out.

The Sun Devils fought their way back earning a 4-3 lead on their home field. Despite being down one, the Wildcats had just who they wanted at the plate with a chance to take the lead: Mandie Perez.

Perez got a pitch up in the strike zone and sent it over the center field wall as she gave her team the go ahead run, putting the score at 5-4.

The home run marked the seventh four-bagger of the season for Perez and the 16th of her career.

The Wildcats held on to take a 2-0 series lead before falling to ASU on Sunday.

Follow Daily Wildcat Sports on Twitter