Police Beat: February 20

Busted for basketball

A UA student was arrested on a misdemeanor warrant February 11 around 3:45 a.m.

The student and his friend were seen by a University of Arizona Police Department officer sneaking into the Delta Chi fraternity house courtyard. The two students hid their bikes behind a nearby dumpster and entered the courtyard through the unlocked gate.

The officer then confronted the two students, who claimed they didn’t know that the courtyard was the private property of the fraternity. They said they just wanted to play basketball.

After giving the students a verbal warning for trespassing, the officer performed a background check, which revealed that the first student had a misdemeanor warrant for his arrest on charges of both shoplifting and failure to appear in court.

The officer then proceeded to handcuff the student and arrest him. He was taken to Pima County Adult Detention Center and was booked, according to his warrant.

Like mother, like daughter

A UA student was arrested on a charge of failure to appear before a court on a charge of assault, as well as driving with a suspended license.

A UAPD officer clocked a gold Toyota Corolla going 38 mph in the 30 mph zone near the corner of Sixth Street and National Championship Drive and observed that the driver was not wearing a seat belt. The officer proceeded to pull the car over.

After the driver, a student, identified herself with her CatCard, a records check revealed that her license was suspended. She also had a warrant out for her arrest on a charge of assault from the Tucson Police Department.

The officer then searched her vehicle and discovered a marijuana joint in the car’s ashtray. The driver responded by saying that she was borrowing the car, and the marijuana belonged to the owner — her mother.

The driver’s mother then arrived on the scene to retrieve her daughter and reaffirm the claim that the marijuana was hers. After showing that she did in fact have a valid medical marijuana card, the marijuana joint was given back to the driver’s mother.

However, the driver was arrested and booked into the Pima County Jail for her warrant and driving with a suspended license. The vehicle was towed.

Botany and football

A UAPD officer discovered a young marijuana plant growing by the tables under the west side of Arizona Stadium on February 12.

The officer found the plant growing in an area where students often go to smoke marijuana.

The incriminating plant was “plucked” by the officer and placed into property to be destroyed.