“Welcome back, Wildcats!”

Student government leader calls students to action

As your ASUA student body president it is an honor to welcome you all back, and – for all the new students – welcome you to this amazing university that we can all call home. There is nothing else like being a University of Arizona Wildcat. You will be singing “”Bear Down, Arizona”” in your sleep, your entire wardrobe will have transformed into strictly cardinal red and navy blue T-shirts, “”Cats”” shorts, and of course, flip-flop sandals before you know it!

There is no job too big or too small for the Associated Students of the University of Arizona. It is extremely important for you to know that I will do everything in my power to make your Wildcat experience the very best! With that, it is also essential that you are not the least bit hesitant to contact me with your needs or concerns. My door is always open, my phone is always on and I am constantly checking my e-mail in efforts to stay connected to all of you.

ASUA is your student government. We are the link between you, and the administrators and legislators. We provide the tools and opportunities necessary to achieve successful lobbying efforts and incredible new campus events, and to help facilitate student-run organizations. Start looking forward to tons of new and exciting initiatives, projects and events to come. This is going to be a year that you will not soon forget!

We at ASUA are here to help you take control of your college experience and to make sure that your voice is heard! You are the students of the UA, and there is no doubt that without you, the student body, there is no university.

I encourage all of you to grab the bull by the horns and take advantage of all the resources that are there for you to ensure a promising experience here. Outside of ASUA, this campus has a vast array of other activities and opportunities for you to get involved in. This includes community volunteer groups, clubs, Greek Life and Residence Hall Association, to name a few. A great way to enhance your Wildcat life is to find something that you are interested in and enjoy doing. You can find something simply by visiting one of the student-resource centers located in the Student Union Memorial Center, one of which is the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership (CSIL). This is a great place to garner information pertaining to any of the 500-plus student organizations and clubs. If you don’t find something that suits your needs, then you can start your very own club or organization! The CSIL provides students with the guidance and resources to start new clubs or continue managing all sorts of different clubs and events.

Good luck this year with school, and make sure to get involved with all the university has to offer. Please feel free to direct any questions, comments or concerns to the ASUA office, located on the third floor of the SUMC right above the UofA Bookstore. We have a friendly and excited staff that wants to meet you and hear any ideas that you have. Our name is The Associated STUDENTS of the University of Arizona and this year that word STUDENTS is our No. 1 focus!

BEAR DOWN AND GET EXCITED!

Tommy Bruce is president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona.