Hey, Barkeep!: Sarah Cutlip from Barrio Brewing Co. knows her customers on a first name basis

Carmen Valencia
    Bartender Sarah Cutlip making drinks for her customers at Barrio Brewing Co., located at 800 E. 16th St., on Friday, April 15. Cutlip enjoys serving customers in a bar downtown.

The Daily Wildcat caught up with bartender Sarah Cutlip at Barrio Brewing Co. to get the behind the scenes action of bartending at a downtown joint. Barrio Brewing Co. is located off of South Euclid Avenue and E. 16th St.

Daily Wildcat: How long have you been bartending?

Cutlip: I have been bartending for about six years now.

Why did you decide to work here?

The atmosphere, it’s such a fun place. I mean it’s cool because it’s right downtown and a part of everything, but it’s almost hidden. You kind of feel away from all the other bars [and] all the other restaurants. It’s just really neat and I love the atmosphere—the rustic feel. It’s just a really cool spot and the people here are awesome. You look around and it looks like everyone is having fun who [is] here.

What is your favorite drink to make?

My favorite drink to make would probably be a Michelada because it’s got the beer, it’s got the tomato juice—a little spicy. I feel like those are really good, especially in Tucson … in summertime—nice and refreshing.

What’s your least favorite drink to make?

I would probably say any of those fruity cocktails—actually anything with a blender. That’s why I am really glad we don’t have one here, because those are usually the ones that have tons of ingredients.

Do you have any strategies when it comes to bartending?

I just look at the bar and I see what I can do from the one side to the other and get done. Take a look around before you start and you are so much more productive and you get a lot more done, I think, when you just kind of watch everything instead of focusing in.

What sets this bar apart from other bars?

I think the friendliness and the staff. It feels like you are at home, there are so many regulars here. Everyone knows what’s going on, they are saying, ‘Hi,’ and you call them by their first name. It’s a pretty cool place.

Follow Kelsey Ropte on Twitter.