Gronkowski named national TE of week

After missing the first three games of the season with mononucleosis – which certainly could have been longer – there was no telling how UA sophomore tight end Rob Gronkowski was going to bounce back.

As it turns out, he probably couldn’t be better.

Since his return for Arizona’s Pacific 10 Conference opener at UCLA Sept. 20, Gronkowski has been the biggest weapon on Arizona’s offense squad – a unit filled with an explosive arsenal.

After the sophomore pulled down five receptions for 109 yards and three touchdowns in Arizona’s 48-14 stomping of Washington at Arizona Stadium on Saturday, the Nassau County Sports Commission named Gronkowski the John Mackey Tight End of the Week.

“”It feels pretty good that they are recognizing me like that,”” Gronkowski said Wednesday. “”You can’t let that get to you, though. You have to go out and do that well all over again in practice and in every single game.””

With the three-touchdown performance – a UA all-time record for most receptions for a score in a single game – Gronkowski now has five touchdowns through just two games played.

Gronkowski said he feels nearly back to normal after being away from the weight room for an extended period of time during his days with mono.

The coaching staff has raved about Gronkowski’s ability as both a receiver and a blocker, and as the tight end regains his full strength, it can only get better for the Wildcats.

“”I am feeling good,”” Gronkowski said. “”I feel 100 percent, but the only thing is Ineed to still regain all of my strength. Other than that, I am feeling good.””