Tough teams to test tennis’ unblemished records

Returning to their home court this weekend, the No. 58 Arizona men’s tennis team hopes to continue the style of play from last weekend when the Wildcats (2-0) compete against No. 69 University of California-Santa Barbara (3-1) today at 2 p.m. and undefeated Pacific (2-0) Sunday at noon.

“”We’re pretty excited after winning both matches last weekend,”” Arizona assistant coach Cory Hubbard said.

Despite sweeping its opening matches last weekend, Arizona dropped in the rankings from No. 55 to No. 58.

“”Last weekend gave the team confidence,”” senior Daniel Andrus said.

UCSB comes to Arizona after upsetting No. 63 Brigham Young last weekend.

“”Each weekend the matches will get tougher and teams will be better,”” Hubbard said. “”The guys realize it’s a big weekend.””

After winning both matches last weekend, the guys aren’t letting up. Practices have remained just as intense if not more so, Andrus said.

“”We’re concentrating on getting the win streak up and increasing the ranking,”” Andrus said.

Although the Wildcats boast a winning record against both teams, Arizona isn’t concentrating on past successes.

“”Everyone is pretty confident, and there’s good energy and intensity,”” Andrus said.

Unbeaten women head to Texas

The No. 59 Arizona women’s

tennis team puts its undefeated record on the line this weekend when it heads to Texas.

Competition begins today at the University of Texas-Arlington (0-0) at 2 p.m. and continues tomorrow when the Wildcats face No. 66 Southern Methodist (3-1) at 2 p.m.

“”It’s (Texas-Arlington’s) first match, so they will be ready to play,”” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said.

The Mavericks started this season with a new coach and will be well-prepared to take on the Wildcats, Maes said. Yet if Arizona continues to play as well as they have been, Maes said that the girls will come out with a win.

Senior Stephanie Balzert leads the team as the No. 1 player followed by freshman captain Danielle Steinberg, who will take over the No. 2 spot after recently gaining her eligibility.

“”The girls are well prepared, and I don’t think we could have prepared any better,”” Maes said.

After losing to No. 9 Baylor, the Mustangs enter the weekend having won their last three matches, but that doesn’t seem to deter the confidence of the Wildcats.

“”We’re in a good position to win both (matches),”” Maes said.

– Information taken from a press release on www.arizonaathletics.com