Arizona Representative Gabrielle Giffords shot in Tucson

Arizona Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head during a “Congress at Your Corner” event at a Safeway in northwest Tucson at approximately 10:15 a.m., according to reports from National Public Radio and Arizona Public Media.

Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said 19 were shot. Five died on the scene and one died at University Medical Center. Dupnik said the weapon was a semiautomatic pistol.

The event had no security and according to Dupnik this was not unusual. 

Police have named Jared Loughner a suspect in the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords, according to Politico. Capitol police have not found motive for the shooting at this time, according to Senate Sergeant at Arms Terry Gainer in an earlier email to the news outlet.

According to Dupnik the suspect in custody has a criminal background. It is unknown if he was the only person involved but he is believed to be the gunman. Dupnik confirmed that they are pursuing a potential “person of interest” who may have been involved in the shooting. 

Local reports confirm that Rep. Giffords is alive and in the intensive care unit. At a press conference regarding the shooting and her condition at the University Medical Center, Dr. Peter Rhee, trauma director at University Medical Center said he was “optimistic” about her condition, as she is responding to commands.

“She is in critical condition. The Neurosurgeons have finished operating on her and I can tell you at the current time I’m very confident about her recovery,” Rhee said.

USA Today reports that UA junior and Gifford’s  intern Daniel Hernandez applied pressure to Giffords’ wound on the scene.

Another victim of the attack was U.S. District Court Judge John M. Roll. His death was confirmed by President Barack Obama and U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano confirmed Roll was attacked.  

According to the Pima County Sheriff’s office Dorothy Murray, age 76; Dorwin Stoddard, age 76; Phyllis Schneck, age 79; and Gabriel Zimmerman, age 30, all died on scene. Christina Greene, age nine, was pronounced dead at University Medical Center.

A suspicious package was discovered at a the vigil being held at Giffords’ office last night around 6:00 p.m. The package was deemed non-explosive and rendered safe by officers on scene.

— More details will follow as they become available.