Celebrate the cocktail way

Halloween is two weeks away, but that doesn’t mean you can’t throw an amazing party before then. Ask your guests to put on the ritz a little and have a cocktail party like a pro.

The easiest way to have a no-stress cocktail party without blowing all of your past three months’ paychecks is to do the drink-making yourself and make it clear that dinner is not on the menu. Pick two or three drinks to highlight and be sure you have enough ingredients for your guests to have one or two of each. They may not actually partake, but it’s best to be on the safe side.

I always try to appeal to a variety of tastes with my cocktail menu – something sweet, something bitter and something smooth. For example, martinis, blue Hawaiians and White Russians. Another way to think of it could be to have something girly, something for the macho men and something neutral. You can also offer mocktails for the underage.

Be sure you have enough glasses for the drinks – although it’s really not necessary to have tumblers and high ball and martini glasses unless you already have them. A cocktail shaker, blender, spoons, measuring cups, a shot glass and lots of ice are probably worth investing in.

And you can’t have a party without food, no matter how much alcohol is on hand. Finger foods are your best bet. I usually make a variety – cheese and crackers, bake-and-serve pastries from Trader Joe’s and brownies – and I invite guests to bring their own concoctions.

I prefer to have cocktail parties with a dress-casual dress code, but you can be as loose with guest outfits as you please.

And as with any alcoholic event, don’t let your guests get smashed and drive home. Have fun!