Oregon State takes lead into halftime

Gordon Bates

The Arizona Wildcats took an early 5-0 lead over the Oregon State Beavers in McKale Center, but the Beavers took advantage of a four-minute Arizona scoring drought to take a 28-26 lead into halftime.

Scoring was hard to come by for both teams — the Beavers shot just 31 percent and the Wildcats weren’t much better with 32 percent of their shots made.

But Oregon State improved its shooting percentage as the half went on and hit two critical 3-pointers to overcome the Wildcats’ lead. Arizona led until the 2:36 mark when Joe Burton hit two free-throws to to give OSU the lead.

OSU’s Jared Cunningham leads all scorers with 10 points on 4-for-7 shooting. He made both the Beavers’ 3-pointers. Oregon State was able to break down Arizona’s defense with quick passing and took advantage of the Wildcats’ six turnovers. The Beavers have eight points off turnovers.

Arizona hasn’t taken advantage of its free throws in the first half. The Wildcats converted on just 3-of-8 from the charity stripe. Jesse Perry and Nick Johnson both missed two free-throw opportunities during the first half.

Perry got into foul trouble and had to sit for the last 5:13 of the half after picking up his third.

The Wildcats used their 3-point shooting to keep pace with the Beavers. Arizona finished the half 5-for-13 from 3-point land. The five made 3-pointers equals Arizona’s combined total against UCLA and USC.

Check back with DailyWildcat.com after the game for a complete recap of tonight’s action.