Students weigh in on parking garage passes

Sasha Gil
After a recent increase of car thefts on campus, UAPD sent an email notice to students on campus that included tips on how to safeguard their vehicles.

High demand for parking passes at the university caused a fast sell before the start of fall semester, and high prices also caused distress for some students and other university permit holders. 

According to reports from the university’s Parking and Transportation services, for the 2020-2021 school year, the standard price of a year-long parking permit was $726. This price is regardless of parking garage location and is valid for the nine months of the school year.

With this breakdown in mind, the monthly charge is around $81. The price of $726 has remained the same for the last three years.

RELATED: Will the Sunk Link streetcar stay free through the new year?

All parking garages are available for the yearly permit except for the 2nd Street garage located behind the Student Union Memorial Center. Other than that, there are 10 garages available for the yearly parking permit. 

Freshman Elle Spears purchased a permit for the South Stadium garage which is located behind the Recreational Center. Spears expressed frustration with her experience regarding purchasing her permit.

“The process of getting my pass was difficult because I didn’t get the garage closest to my dorm because it was already full, even though I signed up as soon as possible,” Spears said. “It’s frustrating that I’m not able to switch, and I have to walk very far to my car.”

Spears noted that she is unsatisfied with the excessive price of the pass, but she would be less disappointed if she was able to have access to the garage closest to where she lives.

RELATED: Unidentified Jeep wrangler wrangles Jeep Wranglers

Riana Brann, a junior here at the university, agrees that the process regarding purchasing a parking pass was difficult. 

“It was so complicated to buy a pass as a new student at University of Arizona because they didn’t make the process clear,” Brann said. “It was so stressful because they were selling fast. I think that the passes are overpriced considering getting one was so difficult.” 

Freshman Lucas Warner disagrees with Brann, and shares that his process of buying a pass was relatively easy because it was all online.

“I would recommend buying a pass to anyone considering it because it’s super nice to have your car on campus,” Warner said. However, he also agrees with the other students on the fact that the price is a little unreasonable. 

Follow Annabel Lecky on Twitter