No. 18 Arizona WBB hosts No. 4 Utah and No. 21 Colorado

Amelia McAnear

University of Arizona’s Esmery Martinez finishes an attempted shot in the game against Stanford University on Feb. 9 in McKale Center. The Wildcats went on to lose the game 84-60. 

This weekend, Arizona women’s basketball team hosts the No. 4 University of Utah on Friday, Feb. 17, and the No. 21 University of Colorado Boulder on Sunday, Feb. 19. Arizona is looking for redemption after losing to both teams earlier in January.

Last weekend, after losing 84-60 to No. 6 Stanford University on Thursday, Feb. 9, Arizona was able to rebound with a commanding victory over the University of California, Berkeley 80-57 on Sunday, Feb. 12.

No. 18 Arizona vs No. 4 Utah: Friday, Feb. 17

The University of Utah enters its upcoming matchup against Arizona with a record of 22-2 and 12-2 in Pac-12 play. Utah hosted Arizona earlier this season on Jan. 15, defeating the Wildcats 80-79. Since their last matchup, Utah has gone 7-1, winning seven straight since Jan. 22.

Utah’s offense is the best in the Pac-12 and the fourth-best in the nation, averaging 84.7 points per game. Utah is led by junior forward Alissa Pili, sophomore guard Gianna Kneepkens and sophomore forward Jenna Johnson.

Pili leads Utah in both scoring and rebounding, averaging 20.5 points per game and 5.8 rebounds per game. Her 20.5 points per game is 15th best in the country, and she shoots 60.6% from the field which is 11th best in the nation.

Kneepkens is second on the team in scoring and third on the team for rebounds, averaging 15 points per game and five rebounds per game. She is followed by Johnson who averages 11.4 points per game, 5.3 rebounds per game and 2.7 assists.

Utah has an all-time record of 21-10 against Arizona. However, Arizona has won five of the last six matchups against Utah, dating back to 2019. Arizona is looking to avoid being swept by Utah for the first time since the 2017-18 season.

Record against AP Top 25:

Utah is 3-1 against Top 25 opponents this season.

No. 18 Arizona vs No. 21 Colorado: Sunday, Feb. 19

The University of Colorado is 20-5 and 11-3 in Pac-12 play. Colorado defeated Arizona earlier this season 72-65 on Jan. 13. Since their matchup, Colorado has won six of their last eight games, including four straight since the start of February.

Colorado is led by senior center Quay Miller, sophomore center Aaronette Vonleh, junior guard Frida Formann and senior guard Jaylyn Sherrod.

Miller leads the team in scoring and rebounding, averaging 14.2 points per game and 8.6 rebounds.

Vonleh is second on the team in scoring and rebounding with season averages of 11.8 points and 4.6 rebounds per game.

Formann provides scoring support from the guard position, averaging 11.5 points per game.

Sherrod is fourth on the team in scoring, but she leads the team in assists, with season averages of 11 points per game and 5.2 assists per game.

These four players are the top threats on the scoring side of the court, as no one else on the team averages more than six points per game.

Colorado has an all-time record of 19-9 against Arizona. Colorado has won two straight games against Arizona but the Wildcats have won five of the last eight matchups. Arizona is looking to avoid being swept by Colorado for the first time since the 2014-15 season.

Record against AP Top 25:

Colorado is 3-3 against Top 25 opponents this season.

Follow Nathaniel Levin on Twitter