Police Beat: October 2

Call me back, maybe?

A UA student received multiple unwanted phone calls on her cellphone on Sept. 25. A University of Arizona Police Department officer made contact with the Maricopa Residence Hall resident the following day.

She told the officer the phone calls she received were from a woman she met in church about a year ago, who she quit contacting as soon as the woman told the student she was bipolar. The student said she had recently been receiving multiple phone calls from the woman, who leaves messages regarding the two women getting together. The student didn’t return the calls, hoping the woman would eventually stop.

At about 3 p.m. on Sept. 25 the student received two consecutive calls, with the caller leaving a voice message after each one. In the messages, the woman said she wanted the student to meet her and a male friend on Fourth Avenue that night.

At about 5 p.m., the student received a third phone call and voice message from a man whom she had never met. In the message, the man said that he wanted the two of them to perform sexual acts on each other. The student didn’t listen to the entire message and quickly deleted it. She didn’t feel threatened by the woman or the man because she didn’t get the impression they knew where she lived on campus.

The officer called the phone from which the calls had been coming from and left a message instructing her to stop calling.

Streetcar cranium conk

A motorist flagged down a UAPD officer down at Second Street and Park Avenue at 5:16 p.m. on Sept. 26. He told the officer that a woman was lying in the roadway on Second Street, just east of Park Avenue.

When the officer arrived at the scene, a UA student with an Arizona driver’s license was sitting in the middle of the roadway next to her Schwinn bicycle. Her knees and elbows were scraped and bloody and she had about a two-inch wide lump on her forehead. She told the officer that she was riding her bike when one of her tires was caught in the tracks of the new rail system, causing her to fall off her bike. When asked if she had hit her head, she claimed she did and had lost consciousness for a few seconds.

Tucson Fire Department arrived to evaluate her condition. She was then transported to the University of Arizona Medical Center for further evaluation and her bike was put into safekeeping at UAPD.

Close the door for Mary Jane

A UAPD officer responded to concerning reports of marijuana coming from the second floor of the Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall on Sept. 26. The resident assistant on-duty had called the UAPD, and once the officer arrived, he smelled marijuana coming from a second-floor room with the door wide open.

The officer made contact with the roommates, whom at first denied having marijuana in their room. After the officer claimed he could smell it, one of the residents said the marijuana was his.

After confessing, the resident retrieved a small, plastic bag with 8.4 grams of marijuana from a small desk at the end of his bed. He also handed the officer a small, blue, plastic case containing an orange and blue glass pipe. The bowl of the pipe contained freshly burnt marijuana.

The resident who gave up the marijuana claimed that he had smoked a few hours earlier, but he did so when he was away from campus. He wouldn’t tell the officer where he purchased the marijuana — he simply claimed he bought it off campus.

The officer didn’t see any signs of marijuana on the other student’s side of the room, and the confessing resident said his roommate does not smoke.

The resident was cited and released for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. Both the marijuana and the glass pipe were placed into evidence.