Sorry I’m not sorry: A college male’s review of a Taylor Swift show

Bryan Mitchell
    Taylor Swift performs to a sold out show Saturday, June 11, 2011 at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan. (Bryan Mitchell/Detroit Free Press/MCT)

In person and in show, Taylor Swift is most definitely three things — she’s exceptionally humble, absolutely captivating and way taller than anyone would expect.

Taylor Swift strikes an imposing figure, yet she’s disarmingly charming and she gave one of the best hugs I’ve ever received.

Upon walking into the room, she immediately laid into the relaxed vernacular of someone who is not a multi—platinum artist with four Grammys under her belt. She utilized the same connectivity one on one that continues to garner her the attention of millions of fans and counting. That same drive for connection is also extremely evident in her live show, which is easily one of the most incredible productions I’ve ever seen.

I have been to many metal shows, a venue in which one expects to see the most wild fans and crowd energy, and for the first time in my memory, Swift’s crowd at the Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, Ariz., totally outdid all expectations I had of a concert.

I heard noises coming from preteen girls that I didn’t know the human vocal range was capable of. I saw paint covered girls in “13” printed shirts climbing over each other to get a look at Swift walking through the crowd in between songs.

The adoration that Swift’s fans lavish on her is not for naught; she did her absolute best to make every one of the 14,000 people in the arena feel like she was in their living room at one point during the show. Whether it was the giant catwalks she strutted on, the rotating white tree stage at the back of the arena floor, or her encore presentation of “Love Story” in which she flew around the arena on a balcony platform, Swift was right in front of you for a moment at the least.

Set alterations and costume changes ran through the entire show, as T-Swift commanded the utmost attention. Whether it was the fireworks for “Dear John” or the faux snow amping the crowd up right before her piano performance of “Back To December,” she played every bit the seasoned performer.

Most endearing was her hometown tribute to Jimmy Eat World, as lead singer Jim Adkins came onstage and played “The Middle,” trading lines and licks with Swift as his blonde, rocking counterpart. Theatrics aside, Swift is definitely the real deal, switching between ukelele, piano, guitar and banjo throughout her set, belting her heart out as every fan in a floor seat sang right back at her.

All of that leads to this point: I’m a 20-year-old male, and yes, I went to a Taylor Swift show, and yes, I loved every second of it.
    Whether she’s onstage or with her arms wrapped around you, you can’t help but to smile with reckless abandon. She seems to conjure that kind of magic more than any artist in the recent memory of the music community.

Oh, and bros, don’t worry — I asked her. She loves us right back.